GATE / International Programs
Broaden Career Options with a Global Focus
Global Awareness Through Education (GATE) is a two-year program designed for incoming freshmen interested in a globally-focused, culturally diverse education. GATE offers internationally-infused core curriculum classes, cultural activities and service opportunities. The program culminates in a five-week study abroad experience the summer after a student's sophomore year.
GATE is part of the Center for Global Education, founded in 2011 to provide quality international study abroad experiences, encourage cultural diversity in Tyler and East Texas and assist the university's international faculty and students.
- Travel with your GATE class to a distant country during the summer following your sophomore year. In 2013, GATE students will visit Japan. While there, students will complete 2 courses taught by UT Tyler instructors at Shimane University and visit such famous locations as the Tokyo National Museum, Hiroshima Peace Park and Museum, Mount Fuji, Byodo-in Temple and other sites.
- Participate in a close-knit program limited to just 30 students and open to all university majors.
Graduates of the GATE program will be well-equipped for international service in their careers throughout the world. The program broadens students' perspective and enhances the value of any degree. Potential employers include the Peace Corps, church missions and international corporations.
GATE: Two-Years Preparing for a Global-Ready Career
- Take two courses per semester in a globally enhanced curriculum. Complete the GATE program in two years.
- Live in the Ornelas Residence Hall to learn and interact with other students enrolled in the GATE program.
- Attend special on-campus cultural activities such as a global lecture series, international film festival and concerts.
- Be part of a small, eclectic group of students who share an interest in internationally focused studies and the value of study abroad.
- Gain a deeper understanding of the world and its diverse people.
GATE Faculty: Outstanding Educators. Internationally Experienced.
- Study with professors who are respected for their teaching ability, including earning such distinctions as the Regents' Outstanding Teaching Award.
- Learn from instructors who are seasoned international travelers and educators, thoroughly familiar with the cultures of nations students will visit for their 5-week international experience.
- Join a small group of students who will be mentored by international scholars who are serving as GATE professors.
Career Outlook for GATE Graduates
Many corporate executives say that international educational experience can give job seekers an extra edge, especially in today's tight market. Executives who themselves have benefited from international training during their college years believe that global experience gives students an appreciation for other cultures that can be gained in few other ways. Whether you major in marketing, finance, engineering, nursing or any other field, an international component to your education and degree will be a lifelong asset as you enter the job market and throughout your career.
GATE will travel to Italy in 2015. For information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
I joined GATE because I've always been interested in learning about different countries and cultures.
Ultimately, I see myself traveling around the world to experience different cultures.
GATE has made me realize that I am not just a citizen of this town or country, but of the world as a whole, and it has become my passion to learn more about my neighbors.