Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CMHC)
The University of Texas at Tyler
Department of Psychology
3900 University Boulevard
Tyler, Texas 75799
Dr. Rosemary Barké
Tracks: General, Couple and Family Counseling
College: Education and Psychology
Test Score Required: Satisfactory GRE score.
Letters of Recommendation: 3
Resume/Curriculum Vitae: No
Admissions Essay: Yes - Statement of Purpose
Additional Departmental Documents: Yes
Deadlines: Preferred deadlines for application are February 1 for fall admission, October 1 for spring admission and May 1 for summer admission. Applications received after the preferred deadlines are still reviewed and admissions are offered according to availability.
Career Outlook: Nearly 34% of psychologists are self-employed, primarily as independent consultants and private practitioners. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, Clinical Mental Health Counseling psychologists will experience an 11% growth in employment opportunities through 2018. For more information, go to http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos056.htm.Graduate Student
. . . . . . . .
Advanced Studies Prepare You to Counsel Clients Facing Difficulties
If you are interested in counseling people facing a difficult situation, personal struggle, or other mental health concern, a master of arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling from The University of Texas at Tyler provides the preparation you need.
- Gain education that prepares you to work in a mental health center or in a private counseling practice to counsel persons experiencing distress or a variety of psychoemotional disorders
- Complete the educational requirements to qualify for licensure as a professional counselor from the Texas State Board of Examiners of Professional Counselors.
Graduates of our master’s program often pursue doctoral studies. Others find employment as counselors in Tyler, East Texas and beyond.
Learn more from the Department of Psychology
Master’s in Clinical Mental Health Counseling: Theory-Based. Hands-On.
- Learn to use assessment and counseling techniques to help clients understand and work through their challenges.
- Choose to specialize in couple and family counseling to learn theories and techniques to address a range of problems for families and couples, including divorce, child sexual abuse and family violence.
- Gain practical experience counseling others through UT Tyler’s partnership with the Bethesda Health Clinic.
- Receive specific instruction in group processes, human development, and the art and practice of guidance counseling to help you more effectively serve future clients.
Clinical Mental Health Counseling Faculty: Expert Educators. Dedicated Mentors.
- Gain insights into the art of counseling from professors who are experienced working with clients in such settings as Alaska Psychological Associates, Houston Galveston Institute and Garland Psychological Center.
- Benefit from small classes that enable you to participate and gain one-on-one interaction with your professors.
- Learn from professors who are published authors on such topics as Cognitive Disorders in Women; Juvenile Sex Offenders in Schools; and A Theoretical Model for Measuring Change.
Learn about UT Tyler psychology faculty
Clinical Mental Health Counseling Courses: Practical. Professional.
Counseling Children and Adolescents – Examine the relevant counseling theories and techniques that apply to children and adolescents. Study includes interventions with emotionally disturbed and behaviorally disordered children.
Applied Counseling Practice – This clinical skills course emphasizes the acquisition of practical therapeutic techniques through role playing and modeling. Video and audio feedback, as well as direct supervision, is provided.
Assessment of Personality – Undertake an examination of personality assessment instruments that are used in a variety of settings. Administration, scoring, interpretation and psychological report writing for selected personality instruments will be covered.
More about UT Tyler’s Clinical Mental Health Counseling masters' program of study