Mathematics MS Degree
The University of Texas at Tyler
Department of Mathematics
3900 University Boulevard
Tyler, Texas 75799
Dr. Nathan Smith
College: Arts and Sciences
Test Score Required: Satisfactory GRE score. Successful candidates usually have a combined score of near 300.
GPA: A satisfactory GPA on all prior advanced level (junior, senior and graduate) work taken. The equivalent of an undergraduate degree in mathematics at this institution. Must meet deficiencies before Full Admission is granted.
Letters of Recommendation: No
Resume/Curriculum Vitae: No
Admissions Essay: No
Deadlines: University deadlines apply.
Career Outlook: Extensive career opportunities are available to those with advanced degrees in mathematics. Many graduates become educators. Others are employed by the federal government, often in the Department of Defense, which accounts for 81% of the mathematicians employed by the U.S. government.
Many graduates with advanced math degrees are employed by private industry in computer programming, actuarial science and other areas where complex math computation and modeling are required. While faster than average employment growth of 23% is expected for mathematicians through 2022, job prospects are greatly influenced by public and private research and development funding. For more, see Occupational Outlook Handbook - Mathematicians.
UT Tyler Mathematics Graduate Student Research:
- Aperiodic Protosets and the Tiling Problem
- Some Properties of the Jones Polynomial
- A Survey of Line Graphs and Hamiltonian Paths
- Conformational Switching and Graph Grammar: Abstract Models of Self-Assembly
- Item Response Models for Dichotomous and Polytomous Data in the Context of Generalized Linear Models With Applications
Meet a University of Texas at Tyler graduate student.
Earn a Graduate Math Degree to Meet Growing Market Demands
The mathematics master of science degree program at The University of Texas at Tyler is designed for graduate students who want to teach mathematics, pursue a doctoral degree or step into expanding employment opportunities in industry.
- Choose one of Texas’ most respected graduate degree programs in math: UT Tyler’s master’s in mathematics is renowned for its breadth and scope.
- Complete graduate school coursework in pure and applied mathematics. Grad students may choose to do directed research and a thesis, especially if they plan to enter a PhD mathematics program.
- Nearly 100% of UT Tyler’s math graduates find employment or are accepted into doctoral programs within 3 months of graduation.
UT Tyler graduates with a mathematics MS degree are employed with such companies and institutions as Tyler Junior College, Kilgore College and Lon Morris College. Others are students in PhD programs at Louisiana State University and Tufts University.
Learn more from the Department of Mathematics.
Master’s in Mathematics Program: Career-focused. Broad-based.
- Complete mathematics courses across a broad spectrum including algebra, analysis, applied math, probability and statistics. Focus on your areas of interest through coursework and thesis preparation.
- Gain valuable teaching experience as a graduate teaching assistant leading math labs and introductory college courses.
- Network with other career mathematicians by participating in the campus student chapter of the Mathematical Association of America.
Math Faculty: Exceptional Teachers. Recognized Experts.
- Study with mathematics professors who pursue a broad range of research interests including: set-theoretic topology, applied mathematics, chemical graph theory, network reliability, combinatorics, tiling theory, geometric combinatorics, mathematical physics, commutative algebra and knot theory.
- Benefit from one-on-one interaction in small classes with teachers who have been recognized with awards for teaching excellence.
- Explore mathematics with professors who are widely published in professional journals addressing diverse mathematical challenges: Symmetry Analysis of a Canonical MEMS Model; Tessellations with Arbitrary Growth Rates and Advances in Quantum Computation; and AMS Contemporary Mathematics.
More about UT Tyler mathematics faculty.
More about UT Tyler mathematics graduate students.
Mathematics Courses: Comprehensive. In-Depth.
Mathematical Probability – Explore axiomatic development of probability, distributions, mathematical expectation, moments and generating functions.
Selected Topics in Mathematics – Examine an array of topics selected to meet the needs of students and which vary from semester to semester. This course may be repeated when the content changes.
Real Analysis – Study topics that include set theory, the real number system, Lebesgue measure, Lebesgue integral, differentiation and integration, and classical Banach spaces.
More about UT Tyler's graduate mathematics program of study.
Find Out More:
Department of Mathematics
3900 University Blvd.
Tyler, Tx 75799
M-F 8 a.m - 5 p.m.
800 UT TYLER