Reading MA Degree
Learn to Establish, Maintain and Evaluate Reading Programs
A solid foundation in reading gives children an advantage throughout school and promotes lifelong learning as adults. The University of Texas at Tyler master of arts (MA) in reading degree program prepares seasoned educators to establish and maintain strong reading programs to benefit students in their local school districts.
- Attend evening classes to complete your master of arts in reading degree in two
years. Summer sessions are available for certain courses.
- Choose from two certification options: reading specialist (EC-12) or master reading teacher.
UT Tyler graduates of the program are employed in such school districts as: Tyler ISD, Arp ISD, Longview ISD, Tyler Junior College, Van ISD and Kilgore ISD.
Learn more from the School of Education
- Examine research methods to hone your skills and advance your expertise by writing a master’s thesis to earn your MA degree in reading.
- Participate in classes with other experienced teachers who will share their expertise, experiences and support you in achieving your career goals.
- Complete your degree to provide excellent preparation for a doctoral program.
- Position yourself as an outstanding reading teacher with the credentials and skills to establish and manage a strong reading program on a school or district level.
Reading Faculty: Committed Educators and Mentors
- Get one-on-one mentoring from professors with recognized experience in reading and literature programs.
- Learn in small classes with professors who are dedicated to addressing your unique classroom challenges and reading needs.
- Study with professors recognized for personal teaching excellence with such distinctions as the Alpha Chi Outstanding Faculty Award, The University of Texas at Tyler Chancellor’s Award for Excellence in Teaching and Outstanding Young Teacher Award.
Learn about UT Tyler's reading faculty
Reading Courses: Best Practices. Proven Methods.
Research Methods for the Behavioral Sciences – Study basic research techniques and methodologies used in behavioral sciences.
Advanced Developmental Reading Seminar – Explore the elementary reading program, including emerging literacy and the developmental reading areas, using literature-based and basal reading materials. Focus is on teacher/learner strategies that emphasize the reading/writing connection.
Reading Diagnosis – Complete a study of individual and group diagnostic reading procedures for grades one through college. Experience in testing and reporting of results included.
Career Outlook for Reading Specialists
Instructional coordinators, a career area that encompasses reading specialists, are expected to experience career growth during the decade ending in 2018. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, career growth is anticipated to be 23%, which is far higher than expected for most occupations.