Reading MEd Degree
The University of Texas at Tyler
Department of Education
3900 University Boulevard
Tyler, Texas 75799
Dr. Kouider Mokhtari
Degree: MED 100% Online
College: Education and Psychology
Test Score Required: Satisfactory GRE score. GRE exam waived for applicants with a masters degree or 3.25 or higher GPA on last 60 hours of undergraduate work.
Letters of Recommendation: No
Resume/Curriculum Vitae: No
Admissions Essay: No
Deadlines: University deadlines apply
Career Outlook: Career tracks for completing the graduate reading program include reading specialists, literacy coaches, instructional support teachers, and intervention specialists.
Instructional leaders, a career that encompasses reading specialists and literacy coaches, are expected to experience career growth during the decade ending in 2018. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, career growth is anticipated to be 23%, which is far higher than expected for other occupations.
"Throughout our quest to become master reading professionals at The University of Texas at Tyler, my fellow students and I have been well prepared by the most highly qualified professors in the field of literacy and education. Because of this, we are now ready to take on the challenges of being reading professionals and leading students and teachers to the best practices in literacy education and training." -Sharon Palmer, former studentGraduate Student
. . . . . . . .
Advance Your Expertise as a Reading Teacher or Reading Specialist
Invest in your future. Apply today.
- It's Simple—Apply for admission. Enroll in classes. Enjoy learning from the comfort of your home.
- It's Flexible—Enroll full-time or part-time. Complete your degree in as little as 18 months.
- It's Affordable—Save money. Pay lower rates than just about any program in the region. If you apply for scholarship support, our program saves you even more.
Select from three related tracks to match your career goals:
- Master's Degree in Reading with a Reading Specialist Certificate (30 Credit Hours). Must complete requirements within six calendar years.
- Reading Specialist Certificate Only. Requires two years of classroom teaching experience, a standard teaching certificate, a master's degree, completion of required coursework, and state examination.
- Master Reading Teacher Certificate. Requires three years of classroom teaching experience, a standard teaching certificate, a master's degree, completion of required coursework, and state examination.
Work with highly committed literacy educators and mentors.
Join a team of highly qualified, caring, and dedicated literacy faculty. Together, they have the expertise, experience, and disposition to work with you and to support your diverse backgrounds, experiences, and disciplines.
- Dr. Kouider Mokhtari, (Interdisciplinary Ph.D., Ohio University, 1987), Anderson-Vukelja-Wright Endowed Chair, Literacy Education
- Dr. Olga Fischer, (Ph.D. Vanderbilt University, 1980), Professor, Literacy Education
- Dr. Joanna Neel, (Ed.D., Texas A & M- Commerce, 2006), Assistant Professor, Literacy Education
Learn to take on and solve important literacy challenges in your schools and communities. Put knowledge into action.
Did you know?: "At grades 4 and 8, students whose teachers hold master's degrees have scored higher than their peers whose teachers hold bachelor's degrees in every assessment since 2005." (Institute of Education Sciences, 2005-2011)
Plan of Study
|I||READ 5301||Language, Literacy, and Culture||3|
|READ 5302||Issues in Teaching of Literacy Using Children's and Adolescent Literature||3|
|II||READ 5303||New & Emerging Media Literacies||3|
|READ 5304||Writing Workshop||3|
|III||READ 5306||Literacy Assessment Practicum||3|
|READ 5307||Literacy Instruction Practicum||3|
|IV||READ 5301||Research Methods for the Behavioral Sciences||3|
|READ 5305||Teaching Disciplinary Literacy to Adolescents||3|
|V||READ 5308||Action Research for Literacy Educators||3|
|READ 5309||Foundations of Literacy Coaching||3|
How to Apply
- Complete an application through the ApplyTexas website.
- Submit official transcripts to the Office of Graduate Admissions.
- Submit official Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores to the Office of Graduate Admissions (if GPA of last 60 hours is less than 3.25).
- Complete admissions interview with Coordinator of Admissions to Online Graduate Programs.
Requirements for Admission
- Bachelor's Degree from an accredited institution of higher education
- Texas Teacher Certification (any field)
- GPA (Last 60 Hrs.) > 3.25 OR GPA (Last 60 Hrs.) x 100 + GRE (Old Score Format) > 1100.
- To convert GRE scores from the new score format to the old, refer to this chart.
Apply for one or more financial assistance options, including Teachers in Excellence Scholarships (up to $300 per semester), graduate assistantships, and Stafford loans.
For additional information on admission to graduate programs in the field of education, contact:
For additional information on the content of the Reading program, contact:
Dr. Kouider Mokhtari, Program Coordinator