Meet a University of Texas at Tyler Graduate
Down to the Coal Mine—and Career Forward
"Because I grew up near Tyler, I was glad the university had a civil engineering program that I could attend and still live at home. All through my years at UT Tyler, I was able to work in the engineering field, getting valuable real world experience using what I learned in the classroom.
"During the summer, I worked with a consulting engineer in Henderson, helping him complete projects on municipal sewer and water lines. Then, during my junior year summer, I got a job at Luminant Mining Company. By Christmas break of my senior year, Luminant Mining Company had offered me a full-time job after graduation. I’ve been working there ever since as the mine planning engineer at the Tatum Mine in Tatum, Texas. We mine lignite coal in surface mines that reach approximately 150 feet deep.
"I’m glad I was able to get my university education at UT Tyler. Because the program has an excellent reputation for preparing students well, I was able to walk right into a job after graduation.”
Carson Hollis, Henderson, TX
BS Civil Engineering, 2009
For more information, check out the UT Tyler Department of Civil Engineering.
Civil Engineering BS Degree
Prepare to Design and Develop the World’s Infrastructure
When you complete The University of Texas at Tyler’s bachelor of Science (BS) in civil engineering degree, you are ready to take part in the planning, design, construction and operation of facilities essential to modern life, ranging from transit systems to offshore structures to space satellites.
- Nearly 100% of UT Tyler civil engineering graduates find jobs upon graduation.
- Get the opportunity for hands-on design assignments, starting with introductory courses.
- Be prepared to pass the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) Exam, your first step after graduation to becoming a civil engineer.
UT Tyler civil engineering program graduates hold positions with distinguished institutions including licensed professional engineer with Adams Engineering and mine planning engineer with Luminant Mining Co.
Bachelor’s in Civil Engineering: Build Basics. Explore Innovation.
- Develop sound fundamentals in the engineering field’s key disciplines: structural, hydrology, transportation, construction, geotechnical, environmental and surveying.
- Focus your capstone experience on an actual engineering project. Past capstones have involved UT Tyler students in designing the UT Tyler Art Complex, completing the University Center and realigning Lazy Creek and Patriot Avenue.
- Study in a program that complies with the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) Body of Knowledge guide, the new industry educational standard.
- Network with peers as a member of the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) student chapter that features speakers, sponsors activities like the concrete canoe competition and keeps students connected with their career profession.
- Complete a professional internship for credit in the civil engineering field.
Learn more from the Department of Civil Engineering
Civil Engineering Faculty: Real-World Experience. Teaching Excellence.
- Every professor in the UT Tyler civil engineering program has extensive industrial experience in the field.
- Learn with faculty who are wholly student-focused and dedicated to professional excellence.
- Receive individual attention and one-on-one consultation with your professors.
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, starting salaries in the civil engineering field are among the highest paid to college graduates. Graduates from UT Tyler’s civil engineering program have gone on to jobs ranging from working with state highway departments and oil companies to designing buildings and water systems. Career opportunities are broad and available worldwide.
For more, visit Occupational Outlook Handbook - Architecture and Engineering Occupations .
Find out more about the UT Tyler Department of Civil Engineering faculty
Civil Engineering Courses: Get Career-Ready.
Geomatics – Gain an introduction to surveying including distance measurement, corrections, leveling, measurement of angles and directions, traverse adjustment, volumes, cross section and area computations, horizontal and vertical curves, and error theory. Explore methods and technologies such as Excel, MathCAD, and global positioning and geographic information systems used to manage data in surveying.
Soil Mechanics and Foundation Design — Examine the mechanical and physical properties of soils and their relation to soil action in problems of engineering such as classification, permeability, shearing strength and consolidation. Gain an introduction to foundation design.
Senior Design I – Begin problem definition, project planning and scheduling, follow-up and control techniques that will culminate in the presentation and plan for your senior capstone design project. Multidisciplinary teams work on design problems defined in cooperation with representatives from engineering firms, industry or government organizations.
The bachelor of science in civil engineering program is accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET.