Computer Information Systems BS Degree
Be a Leader in CIS Design and Business Solutions
Over the past 20 years, advancements in information technology have exploded. A college degree in computer information systems from The University of Texas at Tyler will put you at the forefront of this dynamic field. You will gain both sound skills in business analysis and expert training that will yield solid solutions across the spectrum of technology.
- Be prepared for such in-demand positions as computer information manager, software analyst or software technician.
- Get hands-on experience with significant individual and team-oriented design projects in every course.
- Earn CNSS 4011 and 4012 computer security certifications, which meet federal employment requirements. UT Tyler’s Department of Computer Science meets federal security standards and has been approved to award certifications by the Committee on National Security Systems (CNSS) and the National Security Agency (NSA).
Graduates of our computer information systems degree program hold positions in such organizations as: American Standard, Brookshire Grocery Co., city of Tyler, Trinity Mother Frances Health System, East Texas Medical Center, NASA, Carrier Corp. and Genesis World.
Bachelor’s in CIS: Results-Oriented.
- Complete a 150-hour internship that can lead to post-graduation employment. CIS students have interned with such employers as: The Trane Corp., Carrier Corp., Genesis World, PersonalWeb, city of Tyler and Trinity Mother Frances Health System.
- Specialize in vital areas such as e-commerce, advanced information systems, Internet applications or data communications and networks.
- Complete a capstone CIS project that enables you to demonstrate your expertise in computing and its application.
- Network with IT and computing professionals through student membership in the Association for Computing Machinery (ACM).
Career Outlook for Computer Information Systems
New and continually changing applications of technology in business have created above average job growth for those employed in computer information systems. The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics estimates job growth to be around 15% through 2022.
A significant portion of growth will come in the computer security field. Highest growth is expected in computer systems design companies, health care organizations, software publishing firms, data processing and hosting companies, and scientific, technical and management consulting firms.
IT Courses: Hands-on. Innovative.
Advanced Information Systems Software
Builds student skills as knowledge workers. The emphasis is on personal productivity concepts through the use of advanced features in computer software such as spreadsheets, databases and presentation graphics.
Explore the technical aspects of e-commerce. Students learn to design, build and maintain a complete e-commerce website. Topics include: e-commerce modeling, designing and implementing a website that meets user requirements, maintaining and setting web servers, multi-tiered web architecture, database servers, accessing remote databases, shopping cart fundamentals, commerce server, advertising on the web, e-cash and electronic payments, and Internet security and encryption.
Delve into information systems design and implementation within a database management system environment. Students design and construct a system using database software to implement the logical design.
Computer Security Management
Examine the techniques used to secure and manage computers, computer networks and enterprise computer systems. Topics covered will include security policies, computer network management and disaster recovery. Special emphasis will be given to designing, deploying and managing complete security systems.
Learn more about the computer information systems degree