Interdisciplinary Studies BS Degree
Prepare for a Successful Teaching Career in Texas Schools
To achieve your goal of teaching in Texas public or private schools, consider completing The University of Texas at Tyler’s bachelor of science in interdisciplinary studies degree. Your college studies will get you ready for the TExES examinations required for teacher certification and enhance your success in the classroom in the years ahead.
- Educator preparation programs at UT Tyler lead to teaching certification that fulfills the standards of the State Board for Educator Certification in Texas.
- Choose from several levels for teacher certification: early childhood through grade 6; grades 4 - 8; secondary; and all-level.
- More than 90% of education program graduates find teaching positions after graduation in the East Texas area and statewide.
Graduates of UT Tyler’s education program hold positions in Tyler Independent School District, Whitehouse ISD, Troup ISD, Chapel Hill ISD and many other school districts.
Bachelor’s in Interdisciplinary Studies: Classroom-Centered. Field-Based Experience.
- Take part in field-based experiences that progress from classroom observation in your first semester to student teaching in your last semester to build your skills and confidence.
- Gain experience in different types of schools and at various grade levels to help you decide where to focus your career interests.
- Enhance your major in other fields with a minor in interdisciplinary studies (24 semester hours) to prepare you for teacher certification exams.
- Expand your major in other fields by acquiring secondary teaching certification along with your degree in a specific field of study: English, history, kinesiology, etc.
Find out more about the bachelor of science in interdisciplinary studies
Interdisciplinary Studies Faculty: Experienced Educators. Dedicated Mentors.
- Learn from professors who are recognized authorities in the field of education. Many are published authors on such topics as: Promoting Successful Transitions: What We Learn from RTI to Enhance Outcomes for All Students; Pre-Service ELL Science Teacher Preparation in the Southwest United States; Images of the Holocaust: Artists Resist; The Eye of the Photographer; and Reading Grade Levels and Mathematics Assessment: An Analysis of Texas Mathematics Assessment Items and Their Reading Difficulty.
Educators Career Outlook
Employment prospects are expected to grow 12 percent through 2022 for kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers, about as fast as the average for all occupations, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. Job opportunities for high school teachers are expected by increase by 6 percent, slower than the average for all occupations. However, employment growth will vary by region.
- Benefit from mentorship and guidance from professors with extensive classroom experience teaching elementary through college-level students.
- Study in college classes taught by professors, not by teaching assistants.
- Join your professors at national and international education conferences, and get opportunities to make presentations.
Learn more about the UT Tyler School of Education faculty
Interdisciplinary Studies Courses: Practical. Cutting-Edge.
Teaching Mathematics in the Elementary School – Explore the scope and sequence of the elementary mathematics curriculum, materials and selected instructional techniques.
Teaching Skills and Classroom Management I – Complete a course that provides pre-service elementary teachers with the opportunity to acquire skills for effective planning, implementing and evaluating instruction. Learn strategies for management, communication and discipline at the introductory level.
Literacy in the Content Areas (Grade 5-12) – Focus on content literacy at the middle and secondary grade levels, including particular emphasis on instructional and learner strategies that develop and refine students' literacy skills. A content reading model will be implemented through modeling, demonstration and application in a field-based classroom.