Mass Communication BA / BS Degree
Gain a Solid Foundation for Mass Media Career Options
Graduates of The University of Texas at Tyler bachelor's degree program in mass communication are prepared for careers in news reporting and editing for newspapers, magazines, television and other mass media. The program also provides excellent training for professional positions in public relations, advertising and specialized communications including business, finance and medical writing.
- Choose between two areas of concentration within the mass communication degree: multimedia news and public relations/integrated marketing.
- Gain hands-on experience working with multiple media platforms and the latest technology and communication tools.
- Study with professors who have solid experience in both the professional world of mass communication and the academic world.
Graduates of the UT Tyler program work in a wide variety of organizations and institutions including nonprofits, government agencies, publishing companies and marketing firms. The program is also an excellent springboard into law school.
Career positions in mass communication include community relations director, public relations specialist, publications editor, anchorperson, reporter, scriptwriter, graphic designer, radio news director, webmaster, communication trainer, museum curator and more.
Bachelor’s in Mass Communication: Practical. Future-Focused.
- Gain experience highly valued by employers through college internships at local television and radio stations, magazines, advertising agencies and marketing offices in local hospitals.
- Gain a well-rounded education in UT Tyler courses that delve into topics ranging from digital photography and feature writing to preparing advertising campaigns and all forms of mass media. Techniques taught include photojournalism, multimedia production, visual design, publication design and Web design.
- Study mass communication in a UT Tyler program distinguished by its emphasis on storytelling, from conveying the story to target audiences to telling the story in various media forms.
- Get involved on the staff of the Patriot Talon student media outlet to gain valuable experience in writing, photographing, selling ads and more.
- Network with other UT Tyler communication students through the Communications Club, which brings in employers from the community to give guidance on preparing for interviews, writing resumes and developing portfolios.
Mass Communication Career Outlook
A degree in mass communication provides skills for a range of careers, including reporting, editing, public relations and advertising. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, public relations professionals can expect a 12 percent increase in job opportunities through 2022, which is about as fast as the average for all occupations.
For more, go to Occupational Outlook Handbook - Public Relations Specialists.
Mass Communication Classes: Hands-On. Theory-Based.
Media Design and Production
Explore the use of several innovative software applications to design and produce layouts for newspapers, magazines, advertising and public relations.
Multimedia Writing and Storytelling
Practice the basic elements of multimedia journalistic storytelling, including writing for audio, video, photo slideshows and other online journalism formats.
Mass Communication Theory
Get an overview of mass communication theories with an emphasis on their development and application.
Examine the effects, audience psychology and sociological aspects of mass media.
Learn more about UT Tyler's mass communication program of study.