Kinesiology BS Degree - Athletic Training Option
Learn to Prevent, Diagnose and Treat Sports Injuries
Gain the skills and training you need to pursue a career in sports medicine with a bachelor of science in kinesiology degree that specifically focuses on athletic training. At The University of Texas at Tyler, you’ll prepare to be directly involved in the medical care of athletes to prevent and treat injuries and manage chronic conditions.
- Learn and train with highly skilled physicians and chiropractors who practice in the field of sports medicine.
- Prepare to sit for the Texas Athletic Trainer License Examination, which is required for all practicing athletic trainers
Kinesiology/athletic training graduates have gone on to such opportunities as head athletic trainer, Texas College; graduate assistant athletic trainer, Lon Morris College; graduate study at Texas Tech and Stephen F. Austin University; and pursuing advanced medical degrees.
Bachelor’s in Kinesiology/Athletic Training: Hands-On. Building Competence.
- Complete an 1,800-hour apprenticeship that starts as soon as you enter the program. Get actual experience in a wide range of training-related duties, including pre-game athlete preparation, training athletes in rehabilitation, and assisting physicians and chiropractors.
- Begin hands-on training work with athletes during your first year, an advantage not widely available in other college programs.
- Travel with UT Tyler athletic teams to out-of-town games and events during your junior or senior year.
Learn more about the kinesiology athletic training BS degree
Career Outlook for Athletic Trainers
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment opportunities for athletic trainers are anticipated to grow substantially through 2022. Opportunities will be strongest in hospitals, physician offices and similar health care settings.
Positions also will be available at recreation centers and with high school athletics programs. As the population ages, demand for preventive care will grow, which will positively impact career prospects for athletic trainers.
Health and Kinesiology Courses: In-Depth. Relative.
Explore health services and products from a consumer perspective. Critically analyze the credibility of claims made in the marketplace and by government. Consumer protection and rights, marketing science and special interest groups are among the topics studied with the objective of developing critical health consumers.
Human Motor Control and Learning
Examine the processes involved in learning and teaching motor skills, and the theories of control and movement. Application is made to sports sciences, ergonomics and rehabilitation.
Explore all aspects of entrepreneurship and the process of creating new ventures. Topics include opportunity recognition and evaluation, entrepreneurial strategies, venture financing and managing the growth process.
Also see the health and kinesiology BA degree