Speech Communication BA / BS Degree
Master Skills Vital to Any Career Field
The ability to communicate effectively is an outstanding advantage in any career and in life. With a bachelor’s degree in speech communication from The University of Texas at Tyler, you will be ready to develop high-impact presentations, conduct effective research and analysis, navigate diverse communication styles and think critically to make well-reasoned decisions.
- Build strong oral and written communications skills that can give you a distinctive edge both personally and professionally.
- Develop cross-cultural communication skills well-suited to today’s international business environment.
Graduates of the UT Tyler speech communication program follow many different career paths, including going on for master’s and doctoral degrees.
Some of our graduates are earning advanced degrees in areas such as communication and law. Others are employed in positions such as: Tyler Morning Telegraph, public relations; Alpha Media House; The Salvation Army, grants administrator; and The Lighthouse for the Blind, public relations specialist.
Bachelor’s in Speech Communication: Broad Scope. Theory-Based.
- Explore communication across a wide variety of contexts including gender and ethnic communications.
- Complete an internship working behind the scenes at a TV station, helping craft a company’s image in a public relations firm or assisting in other professional settings.
- Network with others in the communication field through the Communications Club and in Colloquium, where faculty and students present their writings and research.
- Study speech communication in small classes that are highly interactive and engaging, and that offer valuable mentoring by professors.
Students may choose to earn a bachelor of science in speech communication, which does not include four semesters of a foreign language and a final written examination, which are BA requirements.
Speech Communication Career Outlook
A degree in speech communication provides skills for a range of careers, especially for students planning to go into law, marketing or human resources. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment prospects for lawyers and marketers are expected to grow by 10% and 12%, respectively, through 2022.
Speech Communication Courses: Relevant. Experiential.
Complete a study of the human communication process within dyadic relationships. Topics include communication styles, skills and methods of interpersonal communication competency.
Small Group Communication
Study group process and interaction, including the concepts of leadership and effective participation.
Examine the relationship between communication and culture. The general concepts of intercultural communication, intercommunity communication, and relevant contrast-cultural and ethnic groups are examined. Designed to satisfy the multicultural requirements for elementary and secondary teachers.
Explore how religious belief and action are motivated by different communication practices. Topics include philosophy and theory of communication; Christian, Jewish and Muslim preachment; and apologetics or church-state relations. Class attendance at 3 different religious services (Christian, Jewish, Muslim) may be required.
Find out more about UT Tyler's speech communication program of study.