National Survey of Student Engagement
Office of Assessment and Institutional Effectiveness
Data from the National Survey of Student Engagement (NSSE) is administered to UT Tyler freshman and senior students annually each spring semester. UT Tyler adheres to the Indiana University Bloomington Institutional Review Board (IUB-IRB) for governance of the NSSE administration and sampling protocol. Information on the required administrative guidelines is available at IUB-IRB Protocol. The 2016 UT Tyler response rate for first-year students 25 percent and and 29 percent for seniors.
An updated NSSE survey was launched in 2013. Sets of new, continuing and updated items are grouped within within five themes of Engagement Indicators adapted from the Benchmarks of Effective Educational Practice:
- Academic Challenge – including higher-order learning, reflective and integrative learning, quantitative reasoning and learning strategies.
- Learning With Peers – including collaborative learning and discussions with diverse others.
- Experiences With Faculty – including student-faculty interaction and effective teaching practices.
- Campus Environment – including quality of interactions and supportive environment.
- High-Impact Practices – special undergraduate opportunities such as service-learning, study abroad, research with faculty and internships that have substantial positive effects on student learning and retention.
2016 UT Tyler Reports
2014 UT Tyler Reports
2013 UT Tyler Reports
An item-by-item comparison shows how the survey was updated from 2012, indicating which items were unchanged, slightly modified, significantly altered and deleted.
2012 UT Tyler Reports
2011 UT Tyler Reports
2011 Multi-Year Benchmark Report
2011 Respondent Characteristics
2011 Comparison Groups
2011 Mean and Frequency Reports
2011 Benchmark Comparisons
2011 The Student Experience in Brief
2011 Executive Snapshot
2010 UT Tyler Reports
2010 Multi-Year Benchmark Report
2010 Respondent Characteristics
2010 Comparison Groups
2010 Mean Report
2010 Frequency Report
2010 NSSE Benchmark Comparisons
2010 Executive Snapshot
2010 Student Experience in Brief
2009 UT Tyler Reports
2008 UT Tyler Reports
2007 UT Tyler Reports