UT Tyler 40th Anniversary
- Texas Legislature approves bill to create Tyler State College, first state university in 14-county East Texas Planning Region.
- First Board of Regents for Tyler State College appointed; Harold J. McKenzie, chairman of the board.
- Dr. James H. Stewart becomes first employee and founding president of Tyler State College on September 1.
- First class of 176 students enrolls.
- First commencement ceremony held.
- Tyler philanthropists James S. Hudnall, George W. Pirtle and Isadore Roosth donate land for 204-acre campus.
- Small Business Institute created.
- Tyler State College becomes Texas Eastern University by action of 64th Texas Legislature. Bill sponsored by State Sen. Peyton McKnight and State Rep. Bill Clark; signed by Gov. Dolph Briscoe.
- First master’s degrees awarded.
- First classes held on new $42 million, nationally-recognized campus.
- University becomes component of UT System by action of 66th Texas Legislature. Bill sponsored by State Sen. Peyton McKnight and State Rep. Bill Clark; signed by Gov. William P. Clements Jr.