Expected ProgressFirst Semester
- Get familiar with faculty members' research.
- Select faculty advisor.
- Formulate graduate committee.
- Complete a thesis proposal of research topic.
- Complete oral qualifying examination for Admission to Candidacy. Exam must be taken by April 1st. There is one repeat if first exam is not passed. The second and final attempt must be completed by April 31st.
- Register for Thesis (students must register for Thesis each long semester until thesis is complete). No more than three hours of thesis can be taken per semester.
- Progress on research.
- Register for Thesis.
- Complete research.
- Write Thesis.
- Schedule Oral Defense of Thesis, which includes three parts: Part A, public presentation of thesis results and defense; Part B, general faculty questioning of student; and Part C, evaluation and recommendation of committee. Oral defense is typically completed within 2 hours.
- The Thesis is to be a complete review of the literature, and contain a thorough introduction, materials and methods, results, and discussion, and literature cited sections. The graduate committee will evaluate the appropriate style and publication format of the thesis.