The University of Texas at Tyler has determined that to be an educated person, a student needs certain intellectual skills in order to participate effectively in society and in the workplace. The faculty of the Department of Human Resource Development and Technology has identified seven skill sets, or core competencies, that fulfill the university's definition of an educated person and simultaneously contribute to the core values of the College of Business and Technology. These core competencies include:
- Computer software, database, and internet search skills,
- Oral and written communication skills
- Team-based skills including leadership and conflict resolution abilities,
- Critical thinking,
- Ethical Issues in decision making and behavior,
- Personal accountability for achievement,
- Competence in basic technology principles.