UT Tyler Soules College of Business
Master's Programs Frequently Asked Questions
Application Process: How do I apply and gain admittance to graduate school?
- It takes time to receive and review transcripts, GMAT scores, letters of recommendation (PhD in HRD only), etc., so please apply and have important documents sent to our university at least two months before the beginning of any academic semester. Some individuals have been accepted in less than two months, however, if transcripts and other official documents are not received and processed before the beginning of the semester, you will NOT be allowed to register for courses.
- The online graduate application must be filled out at The University of Texas at Tyler Admissions website.
- GMAT test scores are required for students pursuing an MBA, a graduate HRD or industrial management degree. Students may apply for provisional admission for one semester and enroll in a maximum of nine hours provisionally; however, they cannot continue with their studies until the official scores are on record at the university and index requirements have been met. NOTE: It may take a month or longer for the university to receive the test scores, so a student should take the exam prior to the last month of their first semester of graduate studies. Visit the Graduate School FAQ page for GMAT test-taking strategies and tips to improve your scores.
- Entrance requirements for the graduate programs in the Soules College of Business
are based on several factors, such as undergraduate GPA and GMAT scores (in rare instances
the GRE is accepted in lieu of GMAT scores). It is preferred that students have their
GMAT scores prior to applying to graduate school. GMAT scores are valid for a duration
of five years. GMAT scores older than five years will not be accepted unless the student
already has earned a graduate degree from a regionally accredited school.
Students will not be allowed to enroll in coursework unless the previously stated requirements are met. All documentation should be sent to the Office of Graduate Admissions as well as to the coordinator of graduate programs for the Soules College of Business. Following these guidelines will expedite the admission process to The University of Texas at Tyler and should allow students to enroll in courses before they are granted full admission status.
Undergraduates taking graduate level courses: Can I take graduate coursework during the last semester of my undergraduate career?
Yes, you can take up to six hours of graduate coursework in your last semester if you have been granted permission by the coordinator of graduate programs.
Institution code: What are the institution's codes for submitting test scores?
FAFSA: Title IV code 011163
Notification: Why have I not been notified of admittance into graduate school?
The following is a list of reasons why you may not have been notified of acceptance to graduate school:
- Transcripts have not been received from all of the institutions that you had previously attended.
- Transcript was sent prior to your graduation and does not state that you have earned an undergraduate degree.
- The online graduate admission form has not been filled out and received and/or the application fee has not been paid.
- You had applied for a previous semester which is not automatically rolled over to the current semester. Students must reapply for graduate admittance if they did not attend within three semesters of their initial acceptance.
- Letters of recommendation have not been received (for Ph.D. in HRD only).
- Have attended a previous semester of graduate school and GMAT scores have not been received and filed.
- You have a hold on your account due to unpaid parking tickets, tuition or other fee that was never resolved.
- You have changed your address or email without notifying the university.
- You have recently changed your name and not filled out the appropriate paperwork to inform the university of this change.
How do I know if I have been admitted to graduate school?
In most cases, you should receive a letter or email notification. However, the closer to the beginning of a new semester, the larger the volume of applicants that will have to be thoroughly screened and processed which becomes time consuming, thereby slowing down the process. Students can always tell if they have been accepted to graduate school when they have the ability to register for courses either online or at the registrar’s office. Students who have not been processed cannot register for courses.
Mailing Address: I have materials to submit to admissions, what is the mailing address?
The Office of Graduate Admissions ADM 345
The University of Texas at Tyler
3900 University Blvd
Tyler Texas 75799
More Questions: Who do I contact if I have further questions?
Soules College of Business Graduate Advising can be contacted at 903.565.5836 or by email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office of Admissions can be contacted at 903.566.7202 or 7203.
TOEFL score minimums: What are the score minimums for admittance?
A minimum score for graduate admission is 550 on the paper version, 213 on the old computer version, and 79 on the internet-based test. Information concerning the TOEFL may be obtained by writing to TOEFL, P.O. Box 899, Princeton, New Jersey 08540 U.S.A. The ETS institutional code for UT Tyler is 6850. There is no departmental code for TOEFL.
Tuition: How much is a master's degree going to cost?
UT Tyler Tuition and Fee Schedule
When should I call the university regarding graduate admittance status?
If it has been over a month since all of your transcripts, letters of recommendations (if required), and GMAT or GRE scores have been sent. If you have addressed all of the previously listed information and cannot register for course work.
Helpful Graduate Studies Links
- How To Apply
- Graduate Admissions FAQ
- Thesis/Dissertation Handbook
- Graduate Student Orientation
- myUTTyler Tutorials
- Code of Ethics
- Academic Dishonesty Statement
Thank you for your interest in our programs and please contact us if you have any further questions or problems with admittance to our graduate programs.
Graduate Programs Advising