The University of Texas at Tyler
Tyler   •   Longview   •   Palestine
A centerpiece for learning,
culture and natural beauty
Random Image Alt Text

UT Tyler College of Engineering

Houston Engineering FAQ

Download the FAQ in pdf format

I have heard that if you take courses at a community college and then want to study engineering at a university, you have to repeat many of the courses. Is this true?

No. Several universities and community colleges have been working very hard since 2009 to align pre-engineering coursework across the state so that the courses you complete at a community college can be applied to an engineering degree program. In particular, if you satisfactorily complete the newly implemented Associate of Science in Engineering Science degree at a participating community college, you can be admitted to and pursue an engineering completion curriculum at one of the participating universities in Texas. The University of Texas at Tyler is a participating university in the Associate of Science in Engineering Science program.

I have heard that the time required to complete an engineering degree when you start at a community college is a really long time. How long does it take?

Students who attend a participating community college and complete the Texas Associate of Science in Engineering Science degree and then attend a participating university to complete an engineering degree can have the same time to graduation as a student who begins at the university as a freshman, approximately eight semesters. Of course, the number of semester credit hours you pursue in a semester will affect the time to graduation. The fewer semester credit hours you take in a semester, the longer will be the time to graduation.

I have been told that attending schools in the University of Texas System is very expensive. Is this true?

Not necessarily. The tuition that a student pays varies from one university to another, even in the same system. The tuition and fees at The University of Texas at Tyler are below the average for all public universities in Texas. That makes The University of Texas at Tyler one of the more affordable public universities in Texas.

Are scholarships available for students studying in Houston?

Yes. Students who study in any of the academic programs offered by The University of Texas at Tyler, including the programs offered in Houston, are eligible for scholarships. Entering transfer students are considered for academic scholarships based on their admissions application.  No additional application is necessary.  Information about transfer scholarships.

If I'm receiving financial aid at HCC do I need to complete another financial aid application for UT Tyler?

You need to complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) each academic year.  The FAFSA application for the upcoming academic year becomes available in January each year.  If you have already completed a FAFSA for the academic year that you plan attendance at UT Tyler, you will not need to complete another one.  You will, however, need to add UT Tyler's school code to that FAFSA so that UT Tyler can receive it electronically and process aid for your attendance there.  You can make corrections to your existing Financial Aid application by adding UT Tyler's school code (011163) and resubmitting it online.  Your PIN will be required when adding a new school code. You may need to cancel funds with HCC depending on when the transfer to UT Tyler is done.  If this is needed, contact a HCC Financial Aid representative. 

Once I complete the ASES, do I need to complete a separate admission application to UT Tyler?

When you are ready to transfer to UT Tyler, you will need to complete an application for admission. Information about UT Tyler admissions policies and procedures for students with previous academic credit and degrees.

Will the textbooks needed when attending UT Tyler on the campus in Alief be available at an HCC bookstore?

Yes, all of the needed textbooks will be available in the bookstore on the Alief campus.

Do I need to submit official transcripts from HCC to UT Tyler to study on the campus in Alief once I'm ready to attend UT Tyler?

Yes, official transcripts from all previously attended colleges need to be submitted to UT Tyler. They may be submitted to UT Tyler at the Alief campus, or directly to the main campus in Tyler.

When I graduate from UT Tyler, where will the graduation ceremony be taken place?

Commencement for UT Tyler graduates takes place on the main campus in Tyler, TX.

What programs of study will UT Tyler be offering on the campus in Alief and when will they begin?

UT Tyler will be offering upper division coursework in electrical and mechanical engineering on the campus in Alief beginning in the fall 2013 semester that culminates in the award of a Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering or a Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering. Upper division coursework leading to a Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering will be offered beginning in fall 2014. The upper division coursework in all programs builds on the lower division coursework completed at HCC.

Must students obtain the ASES degree prior to enrolling in courses at UT Tyler?

Earning the ASES degree and then enrolling at UT Tyler is the preferred pathway to obtain an engineering baccalaureate degree when beginning academic study at a community college and these students will receive priority enrollment. However, other students who have completed the necessary prerequisite courses may be considered for admission into the engineering programs, if they have a C in all required courses and an overall grade point average of at least 2.5 on previous coursework. These students will be treated as traditional transfer students and will need to be advised by a UT Tyler advisor to evaluate their credits to determine the additional courses necessary to obtain a baccalaureate engineering degree from UT Tyler. Necessary lower division coursework can be completed at HCC or at any other community college in the region.

When will UT Tyler classes be offered?

Classes will be scheduled to accommodate the needs of as many students as possible considering the resources available. As many students will likely be working as they finish a degree, classes will likely be offered initially in the late afternoon and early evening hours. As the number of students attending increases, additional sections may be offered during regular daytime hours. Depending upon need, some courses may be available in the summer.

Is this an on-line degree program?

No, this is not an on-line degree program. Most courses will be offered in a traditional classroom and laboratory setting. You may have the option of taking some courses on-line if they are available, but this is definitely not an on-line degree program. You will be interacting with UT Tyler faculty.

Can I attend part time or must I be a full-time student?

Yes, you can earn an engineering degree as a part-time student. However, because of prerequisite requirements, you should be careful about what courses you take and talk to an advisor every semester so that you can earn the degree as quickly as possible. If you attend as a part-time student, please understand that you will take a significant time to complete your degree.

How do I apply for the UT Tyler program?

When you are within a semester or so of being able to complete the ASES curriculum, apply to UT Tyler at You should also contact the UT Tyler offices on the Alief campus to let them know that you have applied for the degree program and intend to study in Houston so that they can be looking for your application and get you admitted quicker.

Who do I contact for more information?

For more information about The University of Texas at Tyler engineering programs in Houston, please contact:

Dr. James K. Nelson, Dean of Engineering ( or
Ms. Jennifer Scott, Engineering Advisor (
College of Engineering
The University of Texas at Tyler
Tyler, TX 75799
Telephone: 903.566.7040