Title: Director of Choral Activities, Associate Professor of Music
Building: FAC 1213 (Center for the Musical Arts)
- Doctor of Musical Arts in Conducting, University of Utah
- Advanced Studies Certificate in Scoring for Motion Pictures & Television
University of Southern California
- Master of Arts in Composition, Graduate Fellow, University of Minnesota
- Bachelor of Music in Composition, Cum Laude, Trustees Scholar, Brigham Young University
CAMERON ROSE is the Director of Choral Activities at The University of Texas at Tyler
where he conducts the Patriot Singers and Concert Chorale. Both ensembles perform
a vibrant and challenging repertoire from sacred Renaissance works, to orchestral/choral
masterworks, to contemporary vocal jazz. Since arriving in Tyler in 2008, he has grown
a small, emerging choral music program into a strong performing organization which
regularly draws full houses from across the region for their concerts. His singers
have shared the stage in recent years with the Swingle Singers, the Philippine Madrigal
Singers, Vocalosity, and the East Texas Symphony Orchestra, and in 2018 released their
first CD, "I Carry Your Heart With Me." Previously to his current appointment he served
as Artistic and Executive Director of the Utah Master Chorale, Assistant Director
and Accompanist of the University of Utah Singers and A Cappella Choir, and Assistant
Orchestra Conductor and Chorus Master of the American West Symphony and Chorus. He
also previously served in professional arts administration as Executive Office Special
Projects Manager with the Los Angeles Philharmonic / Hollywood Bowl.
Outside of the university, Dr. Rose is also currently the Chancel Choir Director at First Christian Church, and Music Director/Organist at St. Francis Episcopal Church in Tyler. He also is a frequent conductor of the East Texas Symphony Chorus.
As a composer, Dr. Rose's works have been performed by numerous ensembles and soloists, including the Tabernacle Choir and Orchestra at Temple Square, and Leticia Oaks Strong, Los Angeles Philharmonic violist. His music has also served as scores for award-winning media projects and the 2002 Salt Lake Winter Olympics. He is an accomplished pianist, including performance as the youngest of 84 "Rhapsody in Blue" pianists as part of the 1984 Los Angeles Summer Olympics Opening Ceremonies.
Dr. Rose feels fortunate to have studied with many accomplished artists and teachers including Brady Allred (conducting), Dominick Argento, Stephen Paulus, Judith Lang Zaimont, and Merrill Bradshaw (composition), Mack Wilberg (choral performance), and Susan Duehlmeier and Irene Peery (piano). He was a Trustees Scholar at Brigham Young University, a Graduate Fellow at the University of Minnesota, and as doctoral student he received the University of Utah Graduate Teaching Award two consecutive years, selected from across all university disciplines. He also performed in extensive tours of England, France and Spain where the University of Utah Singers won the 2006 European Grand Prix of Choral Singing and were featured at the 2007 Choralies Festival in Vaison-la-Romaine.
His musical experiences span classical orchestral to jazz piano, from film scoring to gospel, and from the electronic studio to the sacred choral tradition.
- Alliance Music Publishing
- Providence Music Publishing
- "History, Analysis and Performance Considerations of Gerald Finzi's Lo, the Full Final
Sacrifice," Dissertation, 2008
- The Click Book: Comprehensive Timing Tables for Film-Music Synchronization; 400 pages film music industry technical reference, and course text at USC; self-published, 2000.
- Tyler Choral Director Arrange Piece of Mormon Tabernacle Choir and Orchestra (Tyler Morning Telegraph, 7/14/18)
- Philippine Madrigal Singers & UT Tyler Choirs (KETK TV Interview, 8/25/17)
- University, TJC Join Choir Voices for Annual Concert (Patriot Talon, 3/22/16)
- University of Texas at Tyler and Tyler Junior College Choirs Combine for Concert (Tyler Morning Telegraph, 2/25/16)
- For the First Time in 20 Years: UT Tyler and TJC Sing Together (Patriot Talon, 3/17/15)
- Grammy-Award Winning Singers Perform in Tyler (Patriot Talon, 10/23/14)
- Classrooms Bring Students' Love for Music to Life (Patriot Talon, 4/1/14)
- Vocalist Fulfills Passion, Performs with Patriot Singers (Patriot Talon, 9/19/13)
- University Chorale Changes Dynamics of Members (Patriot Talon, 9/13/11)
- Director Rose Brings New Vision to Choral (Patriot Talon, 9/22/08)