UT Tyler School of Education - Graduate
Admission and Retention Requirements for a Master in Education
To be admitted to the Master of Education in Curriculum and Instruction program, the individual must:
- Hold a bachelor's degree from an accredited institution.
- Be a certified teacher or be currently seeking certification.
- Complete the application for admission to a graduate program.
- Submit the following documents directly to the Office of Graduate Admissions at the address below:
- Official transcripts from the undergraduate and graduate institutions attended.
- Official scores on the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) - The GRE is waived if your undergraduate GPA (last 60 hours) is 3.25 or higher. This will be determined once all transcripts have been submitted to the Office of Graduate Admissions.
- Copy of your teacher certification
The Office of Graduate Admissions, ADM 345
The University of Texas at Tyler
3900 University Blvd
Tyler Texas 75799
You may also email documents to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Admission is determined based on undergraduate GPA and, if necessary, satisfactory scores on the GRE in combination with the undergraduate GPA, and the applicant's demonstrated commitment to his or her chosen field of study.
For consideration for admission to the program, the applicant must either have an undergraduate GPA (last 60 hours) of 3.25 or higher, or earn at least 5 points from the following table:
|GPA||Points Awarded||GRE (Verbal)||Points Awarded||GRE (Quantitative)||Points Awarded|
3.000 - 3.249
2.750 - 2.999
|2||148 - 150||2|
|1||146 - 147||1|
- In order to be considered for admission, applicants must receive at least one point from each category.
- Applicants with a GPA of 3.250 or higher do not need to submit GRE scores.
- If your GPA is high enough to waive the GRE requirement, it will be waived at the time of admission. The GRE requirement will remain on your to-do list until that time.
- The SOE accepts qualified applicants on a first-come, first-served basis, and programs may fill and close without notice.
- Application fees are not refundable, even for applicants who are not accepted.
Applicants with 4 points, with at least one point from each category, will be considered for Conditional admission if they earn at least 4.0 on the Analytical Writing sub test of the GRE. Conditionally admitted student must earn a composite GPA of at least 3.66 for the first nine semester hours of prescribed courses in the program. A candidate admitted conditionally must hold a valid teacher's certificate or have been admitted to the School of Education.
Candidates for M.Ed. degrees may not repeat graduate courses. A student has a cumulative grade point deficiency when he or she has accumulated a graduate grade point average at UT Tyler of less than 3.0. Students having a cumulative grade point deficiency are placed on academic probation.
Students in M.Ed. programs on academic probation must remove grade point deficiencies and raise their degree program grade point averages to at least 3.0 within six semester hours of being placed on academic probation. Student who fail to do so will be dismissed from degree programs.