UT Tyler School of Education
STEP: Post-Baccalaureate Teacher Certification - ONLINE
Prepare to Teach in Texas
The University of Texas at Tyler offers online Post-Baccalaureate Teacher Certification, known as the STEP program, to help students complete the requirements to teach in a Texas classroom. Before students can teach in Texas, they must fulfill three requirements.
- Hold a minimum of a bachelor's degree from an accredited university or college.
- Have a minimum overall GPA of at least 2.50.
- Complete an accredited certification program such as STEP.
- Pass required state of Texas certification exams.
In as little as 13 months, students can complete this online teacher certification program, fulfilling the second requirement.
The next entry point into the STEP program is Summer 2017.
If you are interested in pursuing the post-baccalaureate teacher certification program (STEP), please contact:
Ms. Virginia Fender, M.Ed.
Director of Teacher Certification
Advisor of Post Baccalaureate Certificates (STEP)
Office: BEP 247C
What is it?
The STEP program is a 13-month online program designed to meet the needs of people who hold a bachelor's degree and want to receive a teacher certification without relocating or taking physical classes. The program begins in June each year and ends in July the following year.
The basic program is broken up into four STEPs.
- STEP 1, Summer: Four online learning modules*
- STEP 2, Fall: One or more online classes* and required field experience
- STEP 3, Spring: One online class and required field experience
- STEP 4, Early Summer: One online learning module
*Depending on your subject area and undergraduate background, you may have to take additional courses. Look at our Plan of Study page for more details.
Why take the STEP program?
- Totally online program
- Earn up to 9 hours toward a graduate degree in Curriculum and Instruction
- Reduced cost
- Helpful faculty and staff committed to making you successful
- Getting started is easy.
Online Teacher Certification Program: Respected. Focused on Excellence
Our STEP program is a great way for you to take the next STEP toward your teaching goals!
General Admission Requirements for Post-baccalaureate Candidates for Certification:
- A minimum of a bachelor's degree from an accredited university or college;
- A cumulative grade point average of at least 2.50;
- A certification plan. (See the School of Education);
- Admission to the School of Education (see this information in the undergraduate section of the College of Education and Psychology)I
- Complete an interview with the Coordinator of Admission to Online Graduate Programs.
Program Completion Requirements for Post-baccalaureate Candidates for Certification:
- Complete all Professional Education courses and modules with a "C" or better;
- Have a final GPA of at least 3.0 in all Professional education courses and modules;
- Have a final cumulative GPA of at least 2.5 for all courses on the certification plan;
- Complete appropriate content course requirements with a "C" or better in each;
- Complete clinical experience or internship successfully;
- Complete required state certification examinations (TExES) successfully;
- Submit to a national criminal history background check.
For complaints about this certification educator preparation program, please follow the policy outlined in the Certification Program's Complaint Policy.