UT Tyler School of Education
There are a variety of materials to help you prepare for your TExES certification exams. The bookstore has specific books to help in your preparation. Remember that you do not have to purchase the books from the UT Tyler bookstore. You can get the name of the books and purchase from your preferred vendor.
Following are online resources we strongly encourage you to use.
Test at a Glance gives you a quick overview of the test and includes:
- Test Name
- Format and Number of Questions
- Length of Test
- Exam Dates and Sites
- Passing Score and Score Reporting Information
- Exam Fee
- Preparation Materials
Preparation Manuals familiarize you with:
- Study Tips
- A Preparation Manual
- Test Content and Sample Questions
Interactive Practice Tests - provide practice tests that include correct answers, explanations for correct answers and an automatic score summary report. The cost for each practice test is $10. There is a practice test for the following exams:
- Bilingual Target Language Proficiency (BTLPT) Spanish (190)
- Languages Other Than English (LOTE) Spanish (613)
- Mathematics 7-12 (235)
- Pedagogy and Professional Responsibilities EC-12 (160)
- Principal as Instructional Leader (268)
- Science 7-12 (236)
Specialized Tools - Some exams require specialized tools, e.g., calculators, keyboard, etc. Take advantage of those that are specific to your exam by watching the tutorials.
This is a paid resource of interactive practice exams and study materials.
- Go to the Certify Teacher website.
- Select the study guide you wish to purchase – make sure to select the online version option. Remember – access to the program is granted until you receive a passing grade from the state
- Click Login under the Apply Promo Code option in the My Shopping Cart page
- Click Sign In under “I Don’t Have an Account Yet” to create your account – make sure to use your university e-mail address when creating the account – the promo code will not work for any other e-mail.
- Enter the Promo Code TYLER4728 when prompted. The price will drop to the discount price after entering the promo code
- Complete the purchase transaction by providing your credit card information. You will be able to access your online readiness review solution seconds after the purchase transaction is complete
This is a paid resource but the School of Education has negotiated a special discount (10%) for our students. Get the instructions to use 240Tutoring in the Documents area of the Clinical Experience organization in Blackboard. You will find resources for the following areas:
- 4-8 English Language Arts and Reading
- 4-8 Mathematics
- 4-8 Science
- 4-8 Social Studies
- 7-12 Mathematics
- 7-12 Social Studies
- Bilingual Education Supplemental
- Core Subjects 4-8
- Core Subjects EC-6
- Core Subjects EC-6: Fine Arts
- Core Subjects EC-6: ELAR
- Core Subjects EC-6: Mathematics
- Core Subjects EC-6: Science
- Core Subjects EC-6: Social Studies
- EC-12 English as a Second Language Supplemental
- EC-12 PPR
- EC-12 Special Education
- Special Education Supplemental
Music EC-12 Preparation
The Texas Music Educators Association has created a website to help students preparing for the EC-12 Music certification exam. You can find this website at https://www.tmea.org/divisions-regions/college/texes-review.
4-8 Mathematics Preparation (from the University of Houston)
The University of Houston has created a website to help students preparing for the 4-8 Mathematics certification exam. Individuals can take as few or as many quizzes as they want, in any order, depending on the content which they need to practice. The quizzes are graded automatically as soon as they are submitted, and people have the option to take each quiz again and again. Most of the quiz questions are programmed so that the numbers are different each time that the quiz is taken, allowing people to practice the same content without repeating the exact same problems.
A discussion board has been set up so that users can ask others how to solve quiz problems, and also lend their expertise on topics which they have mastered.
You can find this website at https://online.math.uh.edu/texes4to8/.
LOTE – Languages Other Than English and Foreign Language Education Resources
LOTE Resources: SEDL worked to develop these materials for LOTE. Dr. Everling recommends going through their training modules.
Teaching a Foreign Language:
- http://coerll.utexas.edu/methods/ - UT Austin has put together learning modules on teaching a foreign language
- https://americanenglish.state.gov/resources/language-teaching-methods - these lessons and learning modules are designed for teaching English as a foreign language, but the methodology works for teaching Spanish. They provide video explanations and lesson plans showing the different methodologies.
American Council for the Teaching of Foreign Languages (https://www.actfl.org):
- This website if full of resources for foreign language teaching.
- https://www.actfl.org/sites/default/files/pdfs/ACTFLProficiencyGuidelines2012_FINAL.pdf - Download this file. You need to know their stages for the test.
National Capital Language Resource Center:
- National Capital Language Resources Center - Good resource for language teachers