UT Tyler

UT Tyler Department of Electrical Engineering


Upon your admission to The University of Texas at Tyler as an electrical engineering major, you will be assigned an academic advisor. At a minimum, you must visit your advisor before you enroll in courses for the following semester. You should feel free to visit your advisor as often as you need. Your advisor can provide advice and guidance in all matters affecting your academic performance. Your advisor is also very willing to provide career counseling.

Student Responsibility for Meeting Degree Requirements

You have the ultimate responsibility for meeting degree requirements. It is your responsibility to know the degree requirements and to be actively involved in developing a plan of study to meet these requirements.

Advising Procedure for Course Enrollment

Each currently-enrolled EE student must be advised for the following semester or summer term by an advisor. An advising "window" will be available during each term for this purpose. The advising window for spring semester occurs in November; the advising window for fall is in April.

You will have a "hold" placed on your registration each term. This will prevent your registration for courses until the hold is removed. Your advisor will remove the hold after you have been advised. You will not be allowed to register for courses without advising.

Your Responsibilities

  • Verify who is your advisor. A list of EE students and advisors will be posted.
  • Make an appointment to meet with your advisor during the advising window. You should make an appointment at least 24 hours in advance. Your advisor is not obligated to provide drop-in advising. You are strongly encouraged to complete your advising during the advising window and to not postpone advising until the week before classes begin.
  • Complete your part of the Registration Advising Form (RAF). The department office will provide copies of the RAF. A sample of the RAF is found in Fig. 1 of the Appendix. Completing your part of the RAF requires that you:

Review the EE program and determine the courses you need.

List those courses and their prerequisites or co-requisites on the RAF in the spaces provided. Consult the 2004-2006 Catalog for course prerequisites and co-requisites.

Develop your course schedule.

Complete the RAF by adding section numbers, meeting days and times, room assignments and computer call numbers.

  • Keep your appointment.
  • Sign the RAF at the end of your advising session; make certain your advisor signs it and makes a copy for you. Keep the copy for your records.

Your Advisor's Responsibilities

  • Your advisor will post an advising schedule before the advising window opens.
  • Your advisor will sign the RAF and make a copy for you. The original of the RAF will go in your file.
  • Your advisor will remove the registration hold after your advising session.
  • Your advisor will ask you to sign your degree plan in the second semester of your junior year. Your advisor and the EE department chair will sign it as well. This process meets the university requirement that you have an approved degree plan on file no later than the beginning of the semester in which you intend to graduate.

Other Important Things to Know

  • You should not expect your advisor to be able to give you an immediate response whether a particular course from another institution will transfer for credit. This is especially true if the course(s) in question come from institutions that do not participate in the Texas common course-numbering system (described on pp. 34-35 of the 2004-2006 UT Tyler Catalog) or the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board's Common Field of Study Curriculum for Engineering. Questions about transferability of core curriculum courses which are not prerequisites to engineering coursework (e.g., US history, humanities, fine arts) should be directed to the registrar. It is your responsibility to obtain evidence of transferability to UT Tyler for credits earned elsewhere.
  • You must obtain transcripts from other institutions for coursework you intend to transfer to UT Tyler. Federal law requires you to authorize the release of your transcripts; UT Tyler cannot obtain your transcripts for you.
  • You are required to bring an additional copy of your transcripts from other schools to the engineering department whenever you bring transcripts to the UT Tyler registrar. Transcript copies for engineering records do not need to be official transcripts; photocopies of official transcripts are sufficient. Your engineering records must be complete before your degree may be issued.
  • You should carefully check your UT Tyler transcript and degree plan for errors.
  • You should be aware that you must obtain prior approval to take coursework elsewhere while you are enrolled at UT Tyler if you plan to transfer that work to UT Tyler for credit. Application to take coursework elsewhere for transfer credit is made on the Undergraduate Transient Admission form available in ADM 221. Approval must be obtained from your advisor, the Department Chair, the Dean of the College, and the university registrar. Approval is not automatic and may not be granted if equivalent coursework is available at UT Tyler.
  • You should be aware that deviations from the degree plan require written approval. Typical deviations include taking a course without a specified prerequisite or substitution of one course for another.
  • You should develop an alternate schedule each semester. This is a good idea in the event that a particular course section is filled when you try to register.