UT Tyler Educational Leadership & Policy Studies
Online Master of Education with Standard Principal Certification - For Texas Educators Only
Now Accepting Applications!
The Masters of Education (M.Ed.) is an online thirty hour graduate program. Course work includes a concentration study in public school leadership and administration, and practicums. The M.Ed. degree may be earned while completing certification requirements.
To be admitted to the Master of Education Degree in educational administration and Standard Principal certification program, a prospective student must:
- Hold a bachelor's degree from an accredited institution.
- Possess Texas Teacher Certification (any field).
- Complete the application for admission to a graduate program.
- Submit official transcripts from undergraduate and graduate institutions attended to Graduate Admissions.
- Send official scores on the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) directly to Graduate Admissions.
- Submit three letters of recommendation to the Coordinator of Admissions to Online Graduate Programs (firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to 903.565.5996) from practicing school district administrators or other professional colleagues addressing the applicant's administrative potential.
- Participate in a personal or Skype interview.
International Applicants: If the applicant's bachelor's degree is from a non-US institution, it must be evaluated by a service on this list. Also, a total ibt TOEFL score of 79 with a speaking subsection score of 26 or higher is necessary for admission.
In addition to the requirements listed above, the following elements are used to calculate an admission score for the Master of Education Degree in educational administration program. A student must receive a total of 6 or more points using the following criteria:
|GRE||GPA - Last 60 Undergraduate Hours||*6 Hours Graduate Course Work in EDLR|
|287+V/Q Combined - 5 points||3.50+ GPA - 3 points||3.5 GPA - 1 point|
|153+ Verbal - 5 points||3.00+ GPA - 2 points|
|285+ V/Q Combined - 4 points||2.75+ GPA - 1 point|
|284+ V/Q Combined - 3 points|
|146+ Verbal - 3 points|
|283+ V/Q Combined - 2 points|
Note: Applicants whose undergraduate degree is from a foreign institution must submit acceptable TOEFL scores (as explained here), or a verbal GRE score of 146 or higher, before full or provisional admission will be considered.
Course Blocks: All courses are offered each semester
Educational Leadership Theory & Practice
|EDLR 5313||Critical Issues in Educational Leadership||3|
|II||EDLR 5311||Developmental Supervision||3||8|
|EDLR 5349||Leadership in the Restructured School||3|
|EDLR 5270||Practicum in the Principalship I||2|
|III||EDLR 5320||Public School Law||3||8|
|EDLR 5333||Administration of Special Programs||3|
|EDLR 5271||Practicum in the Principalship II||2|
|IV||EDLR 5330||The Principalship||3||8|
|EDLR 5337||School Building Operations||3|
|EDLR 5272||Practicum in the Principalship III||2|
Master of Educational Leadership and Principal Certification = 30 hours and includes Blocks I-IV.
View the annual rotation of courses for the online Master's in Education in Educational Leadership.
For Program information
Dr. Gary Miller
Dr. Wes Hickey
For Admission information
Also see Standard Principal Certification
For complaints about this certification educator preparation program, please follow the policy outlined in the Certification Program's Complaint Policy.