HUB Policies and Procedures
Office of Financial Services
A. Purpose: The purpose of this policy is to promote full and equal opportunity for all businesses to supply the goods and services needed to support mission, administrative, and logistical operations of The University of Texas at Tyler. The University is committed to a good faith effort to increase purchases from and contract awards to HUB firms consistent with the state's goals for HUB participation and overall economic development. This policy applies to acquisition of specified heavy construction, building construction, special trade construction, professional services, other services, and commodities.
B. Scope: This policy applies to all procurement and contract activities of UT Tyler.
C. Eligibility: Who qualifies to be a Historically Underutilized Business (HUB)?
- a for-profit entity that has not exceeded the size standard prescribed by 34 TAC §20.294, and has its principal place of business in Texas, and
- is at least 51 percent owned by an Asian Pacific American, Black American, Hispanic American, Native American, American woman and/or Service Disabled Veteran, who reside in Texas and actively participate in the control, operations and management of the entity's affairs.
UT Tyler Responsibilities
- Prepare, publicize and distribute information about procurement procedures and policies in a manner designed to encourage minority, women-owned & service disabled veteran small business owners to do business with UT Tyler.
- Maintain updated lists of minority, women-owned & service disabled veteran small businesses through communication with the UT Tyler local minority business community, Statewide Procurement Division through the Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts and the Texas Department of Economic Development.
- Ensure, whenever possible, that one or more qualified minority, women-owned & service disabled veteran small businesses are included in solicitations requiring more than one bid or proposal.
- Specify personnel within the office or department to communicate with minority, women-owned & service disabled veteran small businesses to assist such companies in understanding purchasing procedures and to encourage their bidding or submitting proposals on goods and services for which they are qualified.
Match HUB vendors with UT Tyler staff through one-on-one assistance, periodic training and HUB vendor presentations.
- Form a Staff Coordinating Group for HUB Programs.
- Implement and administer a Mentor Protégé Program.