Graduate International Student Admissions & Services
Graduation and Beyond
In Your Last Semester
- Apply for graduation.
- Verify with your academic advisor regarding completion of academic requirements.
- If you find you will require another semester to complete requirements, notify the graduate international student advisor.
- Check the program end date on your Form I-20 to determine if you will require an extension. If so, you must apply for it prior to the current program end date.
- If you wish to invite friends or family to come to the US to attend your graduation ceremony, you may obtain invitation letters from GISAS to use when applying for a tourist visa.
- If you will remain in the US after graduation, make appropriate preparations, such as applying for OPT.
Congratulations on completing your degree program! You have the following options after graduation:
- Optional Practical Training (OPT) – up to one year of work authorization per educational level. You can apply up to three months prior to graduation and up to 60 days after. USCIS must receive your OPT application on or before the 60th day. USCIS processing time is 2-3 months.
- Start another academic program at UT Tyler – You must obtain a new UT Tyler Form I-20 within 60 days of graduation. You must start classes in the new program within five months of graduation.
- Transfer to another school – You must arrange for your SEVIS immigration record to be released to the new school within 60 days after graduation. You will also want to check with an international student advisor at the new school to determine if a transfer clearance form is required.
- Change non-immigrant status – Your F-1 status remains valid for 60 days after graduation. If you will apply for a change of status while remaining in the US, your change of status petition must be filed by the 60th day to avoid a gap in status.
- Leave the US – You must leave within 60 days of your completion date. Notify the graduate international student advisor of your departure so that a note can be placed in your immigration record.
Whether you are remaining in the US or returning home, you can connect with other UT Tyler graduates. Contact the UT Tyler Alumni Association to set up your profile, learn about alumni benefits, campus news and ways you can contribute.