Graduate International Student Admissions & Services
Maintain F-1 Status
To maintain F-1 status students must follow specific requirements. Failure to follow these requirements results in the loss of lawful F-1 student status as well as eligibility for F-1 benefits such as employment.
Lawful F-1 status requirements are:
- Report to the school listed on your Form I-20. Follow the US Department of Homeland Security and University transfer procedures to attend a new school.
- Do not work without authorization and follow F-1 rules regarding on-campus and off-campus employment.
- Always have a valid, unexpired passport and Form I-20. An unexpired F-1 visa is not required to maintain F-1 status.
- Update your Form I-20 if you change majors or educational level.
- Notify the University and the GISAS of each change of local address within ten days of the move. Notify the University by updating your address through your myUTTyler account. Notify GISAS by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Maintain full-time enrollment every long semester unless approved for a reduced course load by the international student advisor. Summer enrollment is not required unless it is your first semester in a new program.
- Make normal progress towards completing your degree. If you require more time on your Form I-20, follow extension procedures before the completion date listed on your Form I-20.
- Leave the US when you are finished with your degree or Optional Practical Training, remaining in the US for no longer than 60 days after completion.
If you have difficulty meeting the above requirements, please speak with the graduate international student advisor.
If you do not follow the above requirements, you will be considered "out-of-status" and you must follow reinstatement procedures.