Graduate International Student Admissions

Off-Campus Employment

F-1 students may engage in off-campus employment under the options described below. F-1 students should not begin employment off-campus without authorization from the graduate international student advisor or US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Contact the graduate international student advisor for more information about these options.

Curricular Practical Training

Curricular Practical Training (CPT) is available to F-1 students after they have been enrolled one full academic year in the US but before they have completed the course requirements of their academic program.

Optional Practical Training

F-1 students are eligible for up to 12 months of Optional Practical Training (OPT) per educational level.

Types of OPT include:

  • Pre-Completion OPT - Part-time work while continuing as a full-time student
  • Coursework Completion OPT - Part-time or full-time work for students who have completed all course work excluding thesis or dissertation
  • Post-Completion OPT - Full-time work after graduation
  • 17-Month Extension of Post-Completion OPT - Additional OPT time for students in certain STEM degrees

Severe Economic Hardship

F-1 students can apply for Severe Economic Hardship work authorization if they have been enrolled for at least one year and have experienced unforeseen economic difficulty due to circumstances beyond their control.