Graduate International Student Admissions & Services
Student Health Insurance
The Board of Regents of The University of Texas System requires all international students to have approved health insurance and repatriation/evacuation coverage while enrolled at any University of Texas institution.
International students are automatically billed for and enrolled in the UT Tyler Student Health Insurance Plan when they register for classes. Students are billed for health insurance coverage in the fall semester and again in the spring semester for coverage during both the spring and summer sessions.
Student health insurance fees must be paid in full each semester by the semester payment deadline.
UT Tyler Student Health Insurance Plan
Academic HealthPlans (AHP) is the health insurance provider for the UT Tyler fully-insured student health insurance program. Detailed health insurance information including policy premiums is provided on the AHP web page for UT Tyler located at www.ahpcare.com/uttyler. AHP can be contacted by phone at 1-855-247-2273.
International students are automatically billed and enrolled in the student health insurance policy each semester at the time of registration for classes. Academic HealthPlans will mail students' insurance cards and policy summaries to the mailing address listed in students' myUTTyler account. Students should be sure their mailing address is current. Insurance cards can also be printed from their student account created on the Academic HealthPlans website.
For additional assistance, contact the UT Tyler Office of International Programs at email@example.com, by phone at 903-565-5920, or in-person in the Administration Building, room 2160.
Continuing Student Health Insurance Coverage after Graduation
Students currently insured under the UT Tyler Student Health Insurance Plan for at least six months are eligible to continue their coverage for an additional six months after graduation. To purchase a continuation of coverage:
Print the Continuation Option application.
Complete the application; include the premium payment and mail to Academic HealthPlans Inc. The deadline to submit an application is BEFORE the end date of your current UT Tyler Student Health Insurance coverage.
Select number of months of coverage you want. You may choose a one month minimum up to a six month maximum.
Full payment of the total number of months is required.
Mail the completed application and payment to:
Academic HealthPlans, Inc.
P.O. Box 1605
Colleyville, Texas 76034-1605
Waiver of the UT Tyler Student Health Insurance Plan
Students may receive a waiver from enrollment in the UT Tyler Student Health Insurance Plan by submitting proof of having alternative insurance coverage that meets or exceeds UT System requirements.
The minimum health insurance coverage requirements are:
- Medical benefits of at least $50,000 per accident or illness;
- Deductible is $500 or less per accident or illness;
- Repatriation of remains benefit in the amount of $7,500 or more;
- Evacuation benefits of at least $10,000;
- The insurance company meets US federal solvency guidelines (If you are unsure, you may ask your insurance company. Foreign insurance companies must provide a statement that they meet the guidelines.); and,
- Dates of your coverage meet or exceed the requirement for the semester.
Waivers can be granted for multiple semesters up to one academic year. An academic year begins with the fall semester and ends with summer session.
Request a Waiver
The UT Tyler Office of International Programs manages the student health insurance waiver process. Further inquiries about waivers should be directed to the Office of International Programs by email at firstname.lastname@example.org, by phone at 903-565-5920, or in person in the Administration Building, Room 2160.
To request a waiver:
1. Verify that your alternate health insurance plan meets the UT System insurance requirements. Check the table below to see if your alternative insurance policy meets the UT System insurance requirements for coverage dates, amounts, business rating and medical evacuation/repatriation:
|Required for Waiver of Medical Insurance Fee|
Coverage dates — Fall 2013
8/26/2013 - 1/13/2014
Coverage dates —Spring/Summer 2014
1/14/2014 – 8/25/2014
Minimum coverage amounts
Medical: $50,000 or more per accident or illness
Solvency: Meets federal solvency guidelines. Contact the Office of International Programs for details at email@example.com.
If you are unsure if your insurance carrier meets these requirements, contact that company directly.
|Required for Waiver of Evacuation/Repatriation Fee|
At least $10,000 of coverage
At least $7,500 of coverage
2. Complete a Student Health Insurance Waiver form available from the Office of International Programs.
3. Prepare waiver documentation:
1. Copy of front and back of medical insurance card showing your name and coverage dates.
2. Copy of benefits summary page with medical and deductible amounts highlighted.
3. Copy of proof of medical evacuation/repatriation coverage, if applicable
4. Submit the completed Student Health Insurance Waiver and documentation to the Office of International Programs by the published Waiver Deadline. Submit the waiver form and appropriate documentation to the Office of International Programs during the published waiver period via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or in person. Forms must have a handwritten signature to be eligible for consideration.
5. The Office of International Programs will process the waiver request. The Office of International Programs staff will review your waiver request. To ensure student health insurance fees are removed prior to the UT Tyler tuition payment deadline, you are advised to submit the waiver request at least five business days before the tuition payment deadline.
6. Notification of waiver approval. The Office of International Programs will notify you with the outcome of your waiver request.
- If the waiver request is complete and your policy meets the minimum requirements including sufficient medical evacuation/repatriation coverage, the student health insurance fee is waived in full.
- If the waiver request is incomplete or your policy does not meet the minimum requirements, the email will indicate that you are not eligible for a waiver.
UT Tyler has the discretion to determine what constitutes sufficient documentation demonstrating approved health insurance coverage. Acceptable proof of coverage MUST be written in English and funding amounts must be listed in US dollars.
More information can be found about student health insurance and student health services on the UT Tyler Wellness and Prevention Education Services webpage.