UT Tyler

Graduate International Student Admissions

Traveling Inside the US


Special papers are not required to travel from state to state or to US territories; however, students must always carry their immigration documents. This is particularly true while traveling through states along the Mexican or Canadian borders. You could be stopped by immigration officers at any time and told to produce the following:

  • Valid, unexpired passport (expiration date at least six months into the future)
  • Valid, unexpired Form I-20
  • I-94 card or stamp
  • US visa (expired or unexpired, unless you are a participant in the Visa Waiver Program)

Non-Contiguous US States and Territories

A visa is not required to travel from the mainland US to Hawaii, Alaska, Puerto Rico or US Virgin Islands. You do need to take your immigration documents.

Driving in the US

Visit the Driving in the US webpage for more information.

UT Tyler