UT Tyler

Graduate International Student Admissions

Applicant and New Student Frequently Asked Questions

Accessing myUTTyler

Accessing Patriot Account and Email

Admission Requirements and Application Status

Admission - Provisional and Conditional

Change of Program

Defer Admission

Form I-20

English Proficiency Score Requirement

Evaluate Profiles

Financial Support

Graduate Assistantships


Register for Classes


Transcript Evaluation

Transfer Credit

Tuition and Estimated Expenses

What is myUTTyler?

myUTTyler is the online student registration and information system. In the myUTTyler portal, you can verify your admission status, check for registration holds, update your mailing address, register for classes, view/pay tuition and fee bill, view your To Do list, check course availability or your schedule, obtain an unofficial transcript, view your grades, view/accept financial aid, and more!

How do I log into myUTTyler?

Use the UT Tyler student ID number and password that were emailed to you after you submitted an application for admission.

What do I do if I lost my UT Tyler student ID number or password?

Send an email to ogs@uttyler.edu, and your login credentials will be resent to you. Be sure to include your full name, date of birth and UT Tyler student ID number (if known) in your email.

I have just been admitted. How do I activate my Patriot email account?

After you are admitted, your UT Tyler username and Patriot email address are created. To access your Patriot email account, you must first activate your Patriot Account.

The Patriot Account is the source of the common password for myUTTyler, Patriot email, Patriot Air (campus wi-fi), BlackBoard (our virtual learning environment and course management system), Patriot web space, campus library computers and services, and other on-campus computers.

Activate your Patriot Account and then log into your Patriot email account.

If you have questions about your Patriot Account or email or want to change your password, send an email to Campus Computing Services at itsupport@patriots.uttyler.edu. Please include the following information:

  • First Name
  • Last Name
  • Date of Birth
  • Student ID Number

What are the international student application deadlines?

How do I check on the status of my application materials and application?

Will my application for admission be considered if some of my admission materials arrive after the international student application deadline?

If you submitted an application for admission by the international student application deadline, we will accept your admission materials that arrive after the deadline.

Note that some of our graduate programs have special application deadlines that occur prior to the international student application deadline. These programs' deadlines are hard and all required materials should be received by the special deadline. Select your academic program on the Graduate Programs web page to determine the application deadline.

Will you evaluate my profile and tell me if I can be admitted to your program?

We cannot evaluate profiles; only completed applications. However, our Profile Evaluator will give you a good idea if your profile matches that of other successful applicants.

What documents are required for to be considered for admission and where do I send them?

The minimum requirements for admission are: an online application for admission, official transcripts and proof of degree, an international transcript evaluation (if required), GRE or GMAT scores, TOEFL or IELTS scores, and any additional departmental requirements (if required). Select your academic program on the Graduate Programs web page to view a complete list of your program's admission requirements.

Submit admission materials and Form I-20 eligibility materials to:

Office of Graduate Admissions

The University of Texas at Tyler

3900 University Blvd., ADM 345

Tyler, TX 75799

Documents submitted to the university for admission become the property of the university and cannot be returned.

Do I need to submit letters of recommendation and a statement of purpose? If so, where do I send them?

Some programs do not require letters of recommendation or a statement of purpose; others require up to three recommendation letters, and may require additional information as well. Contact your the program advisor for your program. Select your academic program listed on the Graduate Programs web page to locate your program advisor's contact information.

The Office of Graduate Admissions does not require letters of recommendation or a statement of purpose – they are only required if specified by your academic program.

Recommendation letters should address your potential as a graduate student. In particular, they should stress the following:

  • Your intellectual development through college/on the job
  • Aptitude for independent thinking and research
  • Critical thinking abilities and writing skills
  • Leadership or creative qualities

The letters should persuade the committee that you would be a valuable asset to the program by giving them specific examples of your past performance. This article is a good resource about how to get great recommendation letters for graduate school.

What is UT Tyler’s proof of English proficiency requirement?

All applicants whose native language is not English are required to submit proof of English language proficiency. Applicants may submit official results of either the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) or Pearson Test of English (PTE) of 53.

The minimum TOEFL (iBT) score is 79, and the minimum IELTS scores are 6.5 in the overall band and 6.0 or greater in all sub-sections.

TOEFL is administered by the Educational Testing Service. The ETS institutional code for UT Tyler is 6850. Detailed information about the IELTS test can be found on their website.

Please note: TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE scores must be less than two years old from the first day of class at the proposed term of entry in order to be valid. In addition, individual academic programs may require a higher score, or evidence of spoken English language proficiency. Applicants from the following countries do not need to submit a TOEFL score: American Samoa, Australia, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Canada (except Quebec), Dominica, Grenada, Grand Cayman, Guyana, Ireland, Jamaica, Liberia, New Zealand, Sierra Leone, Trinidad/Tobago, United Kingdom, U.S. Pacific Trust.

Meeting the minimum English proficiency score requirement means that your application file will be considered for admission. Applications with scores that do not satisfy the minimum English proficiency score requirement will not be evaluated for admission.

You may find these free TOEFL tips and test-taking strategies websites helpful to review for the test:

Can I be considered for conditional admission if my TOEFL/IELTS scores do not meet the minimum required?

No, applicants whose TOEFL or IELTS scores do not meet the minimum required cannot be considered for any kind of admission. Applicants who do not meet the minimum score requirement are encouraged to retest.

What is the minimum GRE score requirement?

Generally, there is no minimum score requirement, but programs in the College of Engineering and Computer Science have a minimum desired score range of 290-300.

To find out a program’s admission requirements, visit the programs page. If a specific score is not listed for the GPA/GRE/GMAT, it is because there is not one.

The GRE is administered by the Educational Testing Service. The ETS institutional code for UT Tyler is 6850. Testing dates and additional information can be found on their website.

My GRE/GMAT/TOEFL/other test score isn't as high as it should be – should I still apply?

How long will it take for my GRE score to arrive?

Tips for Taking GMAT and GRE

What is an international transcript evaluation and why am I required to submit one?

An international transcript evaluation is a report prepared by a third-party credential evaluation service that explains how your international education compares with the US education system. It allows departmental graduate admissions committees at UT Tyler to properly understand your educational background and preparedness when evaluating your admission file.

UT Tyler is not able to evaluate international transcripts. UT Tyler accepts evaluations from the following service providers:

For computer science, civil engineering, electrical engineering and mechanical engineering, an official English evaluation of the transcript may be waived. Use the Evaluation Needed? program to see if you qualify for a waiver. For all other programs, accompanying the application must be an official English evaluation of the transcripts if the academic transcripts are from a foreign institution.

What kind of international transcript evaluation do I need to submit?

Submit a report that provides a course-by-course description of your diploma/certificate, indicates the period of your education, provides an equivalency for your document, lists all courses (subjects) with US semester credits, and give a grade point average (GPA) on a 4.0 scale.

What is provisional admission?

Your admission letter may have indicated that you have been offered provisional admission. If this is the case, your official admission will not be completed until we receive items such as an official final transcript showing award of the bachelor's degree.

While a student who is admitted provisionally will be allowed to enroll for his/her first semester, all admission provisions must be cleared by the end of the first semester of enrollment. In order to avoid any difficulties, we strongly encourage students to meet the terms of their provisional admissions prior to the start of the semester. If students fail to clear their provisional status by the end of the first enrolled semester, an administrative hold will be placed on their academic record, preventing their registration for future semesters, and their graduate student status may be revoked.

Provisional admission is not offered to applicants who do not satisfy the University’s English proficiency requirement.

Taking actions necessary to clear provisional admission status is the sole responsibility of the student. This may include contacting the undergraduate institution they attended for an official copy of the transcript with degree conferral. All documents necessary to clear a student's provisional admission status should be sent directly to the following address:

Graduate Admissions

The University of Texas at Tyler

3900 University Blvd., ADM345

Tyler, TX 75799

What is conditional admission?

Your admission letter may have indicated that you have been offered conditional admission. This means that your academic department offers you admission on the condition that you satisfy a specified requirement such as leveling courses. Conditional admission can last up to nine semester credit hours. To learn what specific conditions your academic department is requiring of you, contact your program advisor.

Conditional admission is not offered to applicants who do not satisfy the University’s English proficiency requirement.

I've been accepted to one program, but I want to change to another program. How do I do that?

I would like to defer my admission. How do I do that?

An offer of admission is valid for three consecutive semesters. While you do not need to notify the University Registrar of your intent to defer, it is advisable that you notify your academic department. You must notify the graduate international student advisor at igs@uttyler.edu of your intent to defer so that a revised Form I-20 can be issued to you.

What is required to get a UT Tyler Form I-20?

To receive a UT Tyler Form I-20, you must: be admitted to an academic program, submit the biographical details page of your passport, and submit proof of financial support equivalent to the estimated cost of attendance for one full academic year.

Can I get a Form I-20 if I am admitted to an on-line only program?

No. The US Department of Homeland Security restricts the number of online courses an international student may take each semester toward satisfying the full-time enrollment requirement. Therefore, a program comprised of online only courses will not satisfy the enrollment requirements.

What is the deadline to submit my financial support documents?

There is no deadline. However, you are advised to submit your documents as soon as possible so that your Form I-20 can be issued and you can schedule your visa appointment. See the Receive a Form I-20  webpage for details on submitting financial support documents.

If you are currently in the US studying at a different institution, the graduate international student advisor will send you an email within 2 business days of your admission providing information about transferring your current SEVIS I-20 record to UT Tyler. See the F-1 Transfer Student webpage for more details.

I am deferring my admission. How do I get a revised Form I-20 with my new program start date?

Notify the graduate international student advisor at issfs@uttyler.edu of your intent to defer your admission. The advisor will confirm receipt of your notification and provide you with further instructions for obtaining a revised Form I-20.

What kind of financial support can I receive?

Acceptance to a graduate program of study does not automatically include financial support. Students are responsible for the full amount of tuition and fees unless they receive some form of financial support.

The Graduate School offers the New Graduate Fellowship to new graduate students. The $1000 fellowship is competitive, and recipients are granted a competitive scholarship waiver which is a waiver of nonresident tuition charges. Go to The Graduate School Financial Support webpage for details about the fellowship, deadlines to apply, and a link to the online application.

After their first year of enrollment at the university, students may also apply for a UT Tyler Returning Student Scholarship. Application deadlines are: Apr. 1 for fall semester and Nov. 1 for spring semester.

International students do not qualify for the Federal Student Aid program. Instead, international students may wish to research and apply for external funding opportunities.

Here are a few more good sites for international graduate student financial aid or scholarship opportunities:

Do I have to submit my proof of financial support in order to be considered for admission?

No. Proof of financial support is required to receive a UT Tyler Form I-20. It is not required in order for your application file to be considered for admission.

How do I get a graduate assistantship?

Departments hire graduate students to serve as teaching assistants (TA) or research assistants (RA). The number of assistantships available varies from department to department. Each department also has its own assistantship hiring process. Interested students should contact their academic for details.

All assistantships and on-campus jobs are required to be posted on the UT Tyler student employment database called PatriotJobs. While most assistantship positions tend to be posted at the start of each semester, students should check the database regularly throughout the year.

Learn more about the UT Tyler Graduate Assistantship Policy.

Graduate assistants who qualify are granted the RA/TA Waiver which allows them to pay the resident tuition rate. RA/TA waivers must be applied to student accounts prior to the Census Date each semester.

How much are tuition and living expenses?

Go to the Tuition and Estimated Expenses web page for a detailed estimated costs of attending UT Tyler for one academic year. Use the Graduate Cost Calculator to estimate tuition and fees per semester.

How do I register for classes?

Students who have been admitted may register for classes when the registration period opens for their semester. Review the information on our How to Register for Classes web page.

How do I get my course textbooks?

Each course has a list of required textbooks or supplies. Instructors indicate what is required on the course syllabus. They also notify the Campus Bookstore what textbooks will be required for their courses. You can access the list of required textbooks for each course by going to the Campus Bookstore website and clicking on the TEXTBOOKS tab at the top of the page. Enter your course information in step one and in step two view your list of required supplies. Textbooks can be purchased or rented on the Campus Bookstore website.

How do I transfer credit for graduate courses I took at another university?

Students who are accepted into a graduate program and register for courses may request transfer credit for relevant graduate courses taken at regionally accredited institutions. Transfer of credit is subject to the approval of the student's graduate program advisor and the regulations of the University. A maximum of nine credit hours may be transferred and only credits for courses in which the student earned a grade of B or higher.

To request transfer credit, submit a completed Graduate Transfer Credit Approval Form to your program advisor for approval. Your advisor will evaluate and approve which credits may be transferred. Your advisor will forward the approved form to the Office of Graduate Admissions.

Students are advised to complete this process within their first semester of enrollment at UT Tyler.

UT Tyler