- A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university
- A satisfactory score on the Miller Analogies Test (MAT).
- A satisfactory grade point average on all prior upper-division work (Minimum GPA - 3.0)
- A minimum of 12 hours of upper-division history courses
- Consideration is also given to one or more of the following: the applicant's demonstrated commitment to his or her chosen field of study, socioeconomic background, first generation college graduate, multilingual proficiency, geographic region of residence, and level of responsibility in other matters including extracurricular activities, employment, community service, and family responsibilities.