Bachelor of Science Degree in Health Studies
The mission of the B.S.-Health Studies Degree Program is to prepare students for professional careers or advanced studies in health-related fields. The Program provides two tracks, the Community and Health Education Track and the Health Policy Track. Both tracks share a core of courses that provides graduates with an understanding of a wide range of health-related topics, including:
- diseases and their causes, distributions, risk factors and prevention;
- various systems of health care delivery;
- assessment and evaluation of health programs.
In addition, the Community and Health Education Track emphasizes health education and promotion in the community/global setting, and the Health Policy Track emphasizes administrative aspects of health care and health promotion.
This program may be used:
- to prepare for or to advance careers related to health care and health promotion in various public and private, clinical and non-clinical settings;
- to prepare for graduate studies in areas such as public and community health, health promotion, design and evaluation of health-related programs, and quantitative and qualitative data analysis.
To earn the B.S. Degree in Health Studies the student must:
- complete the University’s general baccalaureate degree requirements;
- complete the Departmental curriculum requirements (degree plan linked below);
- be awarded a grade of C or better in all courses used to meet degree requirements;
- and take the Certified Health Education Specialist (CHES) examination. (The CHES examination is offered twice each year, in April and October. A student expecting to complete the degree curriculum in May or August should take the CHES exam in April; a student expecting to complete the curriculum in December should take the CHES exam in October. More information about the CHES exam is available in the Office of the Department of Health and Kinesiology.)
A student in this program is expected to commit to lifelong learning about medical, psychological, and social innovations, appreciate factors that positively influence health, model a personal commitment to a healthy lifestyle, nurture a desire to educate others about health, and develop high ethical standards.
B.S.-Health Studies Degree Plans