UT Tyler Honors Program
Applying as a Transfer Student
Students transferring to UT Tyler have the opportunity to enter the Honors Program through a two-year commitment that focuses on expanding major-specific course work and offers the opportunity to pursue individual research.
In the first year, the students will contract with faculty members in upper-division courses within their major to complete additional work, called contracts. Contracts may include an additional project, additional readings, additional meetings with a faculty member, additional research time in the faculty member's lab, etc.
In the second year, the students will investigate a research question in the fall and spring semesters, and compose either a paper for submission to an undergraduate research journal or a poster for presentation at an undergraduate research conference. Please refer to the Contract Course and Senior Research Project pages for more information.
In order to apply to the Honors Program transfer applicants must:
- Have a cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher from their previous institution.
- Have been a member of the Honors Program or taken Honors classes at their previous institution*.
- Submit a completed application form.
- Submit a statement of academic and career goals.
- Provide at least two references. At least one reference must be from a faculty member associated with the Honors Program at the student's previous institution.
*If an applicant's previous institution does not have an Honors Program, this requirement can be waived.
Deadline for Applications: Applications are evaluated on a rolling basis. While there are no specific deadlines, space in the program is limited. Therefore, it is to your advantage to apply early. Applicants admitted into the program begin their work in the semester after they apply. For example, if an applicant applies during the spring or summer of 2018 and is accepted, that applicant will begin their work with the Honors Program in the fall of 2018.