Prepare for Your Road to Success
- Plan to take at least 15 hours of dual-credit courses from Kilgore College during your junior and senior years. Talk to your high school counselor about your plans and ask them to help you arrange your class schedule so that all necessary courses can be taken in the proper sequence.
- As you are deciding which courses to take, be sure to consider prerequisite courses required by both nursing programs (UT Tyler, Kilgore College) and Kilgore College's core curriculum.
- A high GPA increases the likelihood of admission to either of these nursing programs. A nursing degree is heavily based on information learned in the science prerequisite courses. There is a direct correlation between how well students do in science courses and their success rate in nursing programs. Both programs add additional points to the applications of students who are core-complete. Information about the core curriculum is available through the Kilgore College Counseling Center, 903.983.8206 or 903.753.2642.
Research Your Future Career
- Information about the associate degree in nursing can be found online at the Kilgore College website or by calling 903.983.8168 or 903.983.8184.
- Information about the BSN degree program, including a list of prerequisite courses, can be found at the UT Tyler website or by contacting an advisor at 903.663.8100.
High School Junior Year
- Successfully complete at least 15 hours of dual-credit courses that fulfill prerequisite requirements and Kilgore College's core curriculum.
High School Senior Year
Successfully complete an additional 15 hours of suggested dual-credit courses. By doing so you will have completed your first year of college.
Apply to Kilgore College
- If you are pursuing an ADN, apply to the Kilgore College nursing program during the spring semester of your senior year.
- If you are pursuing a BSN, apply to Kilgore College to complete an associate degree. Be sure to contact the LUC nursing advisor to discuss which courses to take in the fall.
- Apply for financial aid. Call 903.983.8211 for information about financial aid and scholarships or visit the Kilgore College financial aid Web page.
- Apply online at Apply Texas.
Preparing for the Trip