Algebra and College Level Placement Exam
This page contains information regarding placement into college level mathematics courses.
If you wish to take one of the following courses:
- MATH 1314 -- College Algebra
- MATH 1332 -- Contemporary Mathematics I
- MATH 1324 -- Mathematics for Business and Economics I
- or MATH 1316 -- Trigonometry
Then you must satisfy one of the following requirements:
- 21 or better on ACT mathematics section
- 500 or better on SAT quantitative section
- Grade of C or better in MATH 0303 (Intermediate Algebra)
- Score of 21 or better on the mathematics section of ACT
- Score of 500 or better on the quantitative section of SAT
- Score of 270 or better on the mathematics section of THEA
- Passing score on the departmental pre-algebra placement test
- Other placement tests (e.g. Accuplacer and Compass) may place you into college level mathematics.
The department does offer a pre-algebra placement exam. Passing this exam (70% or better) will allow you to take any of the courses listed above. This test is administered by the Academic Advising Center (UC 3440), Dana Welch (director), 903.565.5718.