Research Experience for Undergraduates
Mathematics REU: May 26 - July 18, 2014
Students will work on research in groups of three students that are each led by a faculty advisor. The research groups will be centered around three exciting areas of mathematical research.
Mentors and Subject Areas:
- Dr. Christina Graves - Network Reliability
- Dr. Stephen Graves - Chemical Graph Theory
- Dr. David Milan - Combinatorics on Words and Graph Coloring
Applications for Summer 2014 are closed, as participants have been selected.
- Work closely with faculty in gaining valuable experience in the process of mathematical research. See research topics above.
- Free on-campus housing at the Patriot Village apartments, only a few minutes walk from the Mathematics Department facilities in Ratliff Building North.
- A stipend of $3800 to pay for food and entertainment.
- Learn how to write and typeset a professional mathematics article using LaTeX.
- Learn how to prepare and deliver an excellent talk on mathematics.Students will be funded to attend national conferences to present the results of their research experience.
- Get information on the process of choosing and applying for graduate programs in mathematics.
- Fun team-building social activities, such as
- Outdoor activities (Camp Tyler ropes course, canoeing at Lake Tyler)
- A trip to Austin to visit museums and other fun locations.
- A trip to Dallas to visit the aquarium
- Students will have full access to The University of Texas at Tyler's facilities, including the Herrington Patriot Center (swimming pool, gym) and the library.
The mathematics REU from 2011 through 2013 was a great success, and we are hopeful to continue the success!