Engineering Computer Laboratory
To support the computational needs of the department, the College maintains 2 Common Computer Laboratories in rooms 2022 and 2024 of the Ratliff Building North. The laboratories include the following hardware and software:
- 32 computers with Pentium Dual Core E2200 2.20 GHZ processors. The computers contain 2 GB of SDRAM, 150 GB hard drives, DVD/ CD-RW drives, and 20 inch LCD monitors. All the computers are running the Windows XP Pro operating system.
- All computers are networked, and are connected to the Internet. Students have individual accounts on the Patriots domain.
- There is a networked HP4500 color printer and a networked HP4250 B&W printer in RBN 2024. There is a HP4250 networked printer in RBN2022. All printing is managed with Pharos print station software.
- The Instructor's computer is connected to a high resolution projector that allows students to observe how software is used.
Licensed software available in the lab includes
- Microsoft Office (Word, Excel & Powerpoint)
- Mathcad 13
- Solid Edge
- Microsoft Visual Basic and C++
- SAP 2000
Mechanical engineering students make extensive use of modern computational tools, such as Solid Edge, AutoCAD and Pro/Engineer for CAD, ALGOR and Ansys for Finite Element Analysis, Mathcad and Matlab/Simulink for computational analysis, C++ and Matlab for programming and Microsoft Excel for data analysis.