Engineering Computer Laboratory
To support the computational needs of the department, the college maintains two common computer laboratories in rooms 2022 and 2024 of the Ratliff Building North. The laboratories include the following hardware and software:
- 32 computers with Pentium Dual Core E2200 2.20 GHZ processors. The computers contain 2 GB of SDRAM, 150 GB hard drives, DVD/ CD-RW drives, and 20 inch LCD monitors. All the computers are running the Windows XP Pro operating system.
- All computers are networked, and are connected to the Internet. Students have individual accounts on the Patriots domain.
- There is a networked HP4500 color printer and a networked HP4250 B&W printer in RBN 2024. There is a HP4250 networked printer in RBN2022. All printing is managed with Pharos print station software.
- The instructor's computer is connected to a high resolution projector that allows students to observe how software is used.
Licensed software available in the lab includes
- Microsoft Office (Word, Excel & Powerpoint)
- Mathcad 13
- Solid Edge
- Microsoft Visual Basic and C++
- SAP 2000
Mechanical engineering students make extensive use of modern computational tools, such as Solid Edge, AutoCAD and Pro/Engineer for CAD, ALGOR and Ansys for Finite Element Analysis, Mathcad and Matlab/Simulink for computational analysis, C++ and Matlab for programming and Microsoft Excel for data analysis.