Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering
Students entering the master of science in mechanical engineering (MSME) program are expected to have a background equivalent to that of students graduating from the bachelor of science in mechanical engineering (BSME) program offered at The University of Texas at Tyler, or to obtain such background through specified prerequisite course work.
In addition to the general requirements for admission to graduate study at UT Tyler, a student must meet the following admission requirements to be admitted to the MSME program:
- Satisfactory score on the General Test (verbal and quantitative) of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE).
- Satisfactory grade point average on the student’s last four semesters of academic study and last 60 semester credit hours of upper division undergraduate or graduate courses.
- A bachelor’s degree in a mechanical engineering program accredited by the ABET Engineering Accreditation Commission. Students who have not earned such a degree will be required to complete prerequisite (leveling) course work before starting the MSME program as determined by the MSME Graduate Coordinator
- A demonstrated proficiency in the use of the English language, both spoken and written.
- Approval of the MSME Graduate Coordinator and the Chair of the Department of Mechanical Engineering.
- Consideration for admission to the master of science in mechanical engineering program will also be given to one or more of the following: the applicant’s demonstrated commitment to his or her chosen field of study, socioeconomic background, first generation college graduate, multilingual proficiency, geographic region of residence and level of responsibility in other matters including extracurricular activities, employment, community service and family responsibilities.
Applicants with transcripts from academic institutions outside the US must also submit a detailed international transcript evaluation. An international transcript evaluation determines an applicant's degree comparability to a US bachelor's degree. UT Tyler does not evaluate international transcripts.