UT Tyler School of Performing Arts
Dr. Cameron Rose
Director of Choral Activities, Associate Professor of Music
Department: School of Performing Arts
Building: FAC 2021
Doctor of Musical Arts in Conducting
University of Utah
Thesis: History, Analysis and Performance Considerations of Gerald Finzi's Lo,The Full Final Sacrifice
Advanced Studies Certificate in Scoring for Motion Pictures & Television
University of Southern California
Master of Arts in Composition
University of Minnesota
Bachelor of Music in Composition
Brigham Young University
Cum Laude, Trustees Scholar
CAMERON ROSE is the Director of Choral Activities at the University of Texas at Tyler where he conducts the Patriot Singers and University Chorale, and also serves as Music Director for First Christian Church and St. Francis Episcopal Church in Tyler, and the East Texas Symphony Chorus. He previously served as Music Director of the Utah Master Chorale, Assistant Director and Accompanist of the University of Utah Singers and A Cappella Choir, and Assistant Conductor of the American West Symphony and Chorus. He is an active conductor, composer, and clinician across a wide range of music including choral, orchestral, film music, and jazz.
Dr. Rose graduated cum laude from Brigham Young University with a Bachelor of Music degree in Composition as well as having studied choral performance with Mack Wilberg and piano performance with Irene Peery. He was a Graduate Fellow at the University of Minnesota earning a Masters of Arts in Composition, and studying with Pulitzer Prize recipient Dominick Argento as well as Stephen Paulus and Judith Lang Zaimont. He then completed an Advanced Studies post-graduate program in Scoring for Motion Pictures and Television at the University of Southern California, working with numerous individuals including Academy Award winning composer Elmer Bernstein. He later received his Doctorate of Musical Arts in Conducting from the University of Utah, under the direction of Brady Allred. As a doctoral student, he was a recipient of the University of Utah Graduate Teaching Award two consecutive years, selected from across all university graduate disciplines, and performed in extensive tours of England, France and Spain where the University of Utah Singers won the 2006 European Grand Prix of Choral Singing and were featured at the 2007 Choralies Festival in Vaison-la-Romaine.
For three years he served in professional music administration with the Los Angeles Philharmonic Orchestra / Hollywood Bowl as Executive Office Special Projects Manager, and later founded and served for three years as Executive Director of the Utah Master Chorale.
As a composer, Dr. Rose's works have been performed by numerous ensembles and soloists, and scored for award-winning independent films. He is also an accomplished pianist, including performance as the youngest of 84 "Rhapsody in Blue" pianists as part of the 1984 Los Angeles Olympic Opening Ceremonies.
- Alliance Music Publishing
Providence Music Publishing
"History, Analysis and Performance Considerations of Gerald Finzi's Lo, the Full Final Sacrifice," Doctoral Dissertation, 2008
- The Click Book: Comprehensive Timing Tables for Film-Music Synchronization; 400 pages film music industry technical reference, and course text at USC; self-published, 2000.
- For the First Time in 20 Years: UT Tyler and TJC Sing Together: (Patriot Talon, 3/17/15)
- Grammy-Award Winning Singers Perform in Tyler (Patriot Talon, 10/23/14)
- Classrooms Bring Students' Love for Music to Life (Patriot Talon, 4/1/14)
- Vocalist Fulfills Passion, Performs with Patriot Singers (Patriot Talon, 9/19/13)
- University Chorale Changes Dynamics of Members (Patriot Talon, 9/13/11)
- Patriot Singers in Free Concert (Tyler Morning Telegraph, 10/23/10)
- Patriot Singers Perform 'Requiem' (Tyler Morning Telegraph, 2/27/09)
- Director Rose Brings New Vision to Choral (Patriot Talon, 9/22/08)