UT Tyler Office of Marketing and Communications
UT Tyler Communication Students Earn 27 TIPA Awards
April 11, 2013
Public Affairs Specialist
Marketing and Communications
The University of Texas at Tyler
903.565.5769 or 903.539.7196 (cell)
The University of Texas at Tyler earned 27 awards at the 2013 Texas Intercollegiate Press Association Conference in Fort Worth, Dr. Dennis Cali, Department of Communication chair, announced.
Members of the Patriot Talon and Pine Curtain Magazine, student publications at UT Tyler, joined 400 students from colleges and universities for live competitions and journalism workshops.
In on-site competitions, where all students compete in one division despite school enrollment and publication schedule, Talon editor-in-chief Andy Taylor of Tyler, Victor Texcucano of Jacksonville and Jake Waddingham of Iowa placed second in news writing, news photography and sports photography, respectively. Lauren Barnes of Tyler received honorable mention in press release writing.
Irving Marmolejo of Mexico, Pine Curtain editor, also placed second in Spanish news reporting in an on-site competition.
“Once again, our student staff has shown that it can play in the big leagues. The Patriot Talon and Pine Curtain staffs have made a name for UT Tyler student media, and the most recent round of awards placement continues that proud tradition,” Cali said.
Students also submitted previously published content for award consideration in Div. II, one of five divisions. The Patriot Talon placed second for Best in Show in Div. II. The Talon staff also received an honorable mention for Overall Excellence, which recognizes quality and consistency among student publications. Talon managing editor Morgan Jones of Chandler received the Frank Buckley Scholarship for her staff performance.
Other previously published contest – Div. II UT Tyler winners were:
- Taylor – First Place Critical Review.
- Andrea Caldwell of Tyler – Second Place Ad Design.
- Waddingham – Second Place Sports Feature Story.
- Waddingham – Second Place Sports Feature Photo.
- Carey Ashcroft of Garland – Second Place Feature Photo.
- Taylor – Honorable Mention News Story.
- Taylor – Honorable Mention In-Depth Reporting.
- Taylor – Honorable Mention Information Graphic.
- Andrew Boze of Kaufman – Honorable Mention Critical Review.
- Jones – Honorable Mention Feature Story.
- Caldwell and Lea Rittenhouse of Tyler – Honorable Mention Picture Story.
- Texcucano – Honorable Mention Sports Story.
- Texcucano – Honorable Mention Sports Column.
- Waddingham – Honorable Mention Sports Photo.
The Patriot Talon editorial board also placed third in the editorial category.
Other magazine award winners were:
- Kelley Connor of Longview and Marmolejo – Third Place General Magazine Picture Story.
- Marmolejo – Honorable Mention General Magazine Feature Story.
The Pine Curtain staff also received third place in Overall Design and an honorable mention in Overall Excellence.
In its third year of publication, the Pine Curtain is UT Tyler’s online student magazine. It is produced from news and feature articles written in the journalism classes of the publication adviser, Dr. David Weinstock, UT Tyler assistant professor.
The Patriot Talon, the student-run media outlet at UT Tyler, is designed to inform, entertain, educate and heighten awareness of students, faculty, staff and administrators at the university.
For more information about the UT Tyler Department of Communication, call 903.566.7253.One of the 15 campuses of the UT System, UT Tyler offers excellence in teaching, research, artistic performance and community service. More than 80 undergraduate and graduate degree programs are available at UT Tyler, which has an enrollment of almost 7,000 high-ability students at its campuses in Tyler, Longview and Palestine.