UT Tyler Office of Marketing and Communications
UT Tyler Cowan Center Announces 2014-15 Season: Featuring Larry the Cable Guy, Nicholas Sparks and U.S. Supreme Court Associate Justice Clarence Thomas
June 5, 2014
Marketing and Communications
The University of Texas at Tyler
903.566.7303 or 903.330.0495 (cell)
The 18th season of The University of Texas at Tyler R. Don Cowan Fine and Performing Arts Center will feature world-renowned performances and speakers, Susan Thomae-Morphew, Cowan Center executive director, announced.
The season, titled “Let’s Have Some Fun,” features a wide variety of entertainment.
Season tickets are on sale now at the UT Tyler Cowan Center box office by calling 903.566.7424 or online at www.cowancenter.org. Box office hours are 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. Monday through Friday.
“The UT Tyler Cowan Center is coming of age. This is our eighteenth season! We may be all grown up presenting important and entertaining world-class events to our community, but we remain a teenager at heart. So, as we mature, we will continue showing off our wild and energetic side, too. No matter what our age is, we’re always ready to have lots of fun. And that’s exactly what’s in store for you this season,” said Thomae-Morphew.
This season offers four subscription series with the Performing Arts Series, Broadway Series, Braithwaite Intimate Gatherings Series and the Distinguished Lecture Series. This year’s Special Events include a classical performance made possible by a Charitable Lead Trust gift by Frances Cowan Gibson and featuring Yuja Wang and violinist Leonidas Kavakos and a performance by Larry the Cable Guy.
Performing Art Series
- Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra with Wynton Marsalis Holiday Show, Dec. 9, 2014
- Ballroom with a Twist 2, Jan. 15, 2015
- Kodo One Earth Tour: Mystery, Feb. 17, 2015
- Las Vegas legends Penn & Teller, April 17, 2015
Subscribers to the Performing Arts Series may add tickets to the classical concert by Wang and Kavakos on Nov. 20, 2014.
- “Smokey Joe’s Café” featuring The Coasters, Oct. 11, 2014
- Movie turned musical “Sister Act,” Nov. 6, 2014
- Return of a patron favorite “Mamma Mia!” Jan. 26, 2015
Braithwaite Intimate Gatherings Series
- Hilariously endearing storyteller Jeanne Robertson, Nov. 15, 2014
- Political comedy troupe The Capitol Steps, March 19, 2015
Subscribers to the Braithwaite Series may add tickets to the “Git R Done” funny man Larry the Cable Guy on Sept. 13, 2014.
Distinguished Lecture Series
- Supreme Court Associate Justice Clarence Thomas, date to be announced
- New York Times bestselling author Nicholas Sparks, Feb. 5, 2015
- Compaq Computer Corporation co-founder Rod Canion, March 31, 2015. This lecture will be presented in the UT Tyler University Center Theater.
Arts in Education Series
- Skippyjon Jones for grades kindergarten through third, Oct. 2, 2014
- Mathemagic® for grades kindergarten through second grade and third through fifth, April 29, 2015
School groups interested in the Arts in Education Series should call the UT Tyler Cowan Center box office, 903.566.7424, for order forms.
For more information about the 2013 – 14 season, visit the UT Tyler Cowan Center homepage.
One of the 15 campuses of the UT System, UT Tyler features excellence in teaching, research, artistic performance and community service. More than 80 undergraduate and graduate degrees are available at UT Tyler, which has an enrollment of more than 7,500 high-ability students. UT Tyler offers courses at its campuses in Tyler, Longview and Palestine as well as a location in Houston.