UT Tyler Office of Marketing and Communications
UT Tyler Student Media Recognized for Journalism ExcellenceFollow @UTTyler
Tweet - @UTTyler
April 11, 2018
Media Contact: Hannah Buchanan
Public Affairs Specialist
Marketing and Communications
The University of Texas at Tyler
903.565.5769 or 903.539.7196 (cell)
Talon Student Media staff at The University of Texas at Tyler earned 17 awards at this year's Texas Intercollegiate Press Association Convention.
"I am so proud to see the continued winning streak of our Talon Student Media, and I'm especially excited to see that the rich student engagement that TSM provides extended this year to two of our graduate students," said Dr. Dennis Cali, UT Tyler Department of Communication Chair.
At the annual event, student media programs from Texas colleges and universities submit entries and are judged in divisions based on enrollment and publication schedules.
In previously published material from the 2017 spring semester, UT Tyler alumnus Nathan Wright of San Angelo placed first in the Division III Sports Game Story category for an article about the top-ranked Patriots softball team preparing for another national title run.
Patriot Talon Editor in Chief and graduate student Robert Sullivan of Murchison placed second in the Feature Story category for his account of spending the night with the Tyler area homeless. Patriot Talon Chief Photographer and graduate student Amanda Cirigliano of Tyler also earned one second and two third-place photography awards in the Feature, Environmental Portrait and General News categories, respectively, for campus event photos.
Additional awards won by Talon Student Media staff:
- Wright – third place, short feature story; third place, sports feature story; honorable mention, sports column.
- Summer Evers of Tyler – first place, inside news package/spread design newspaper; third place, op/editorial page/spread design; honorable mention, illustration.
- Grace Herrington of Tyler – third place, general news story.
- Allison Reid Hull of Chandler – first and third place, story package design magazine; second place, photo illustration; third place, cover design general magazine.
- Zak Wellerman of Hallsville – second place, cover design newspaper.
Talon Student Media, which includes the Patriot Talon and Patriot Pulse, is designed to edify and entertain students, faculty, staff and administrators. For more information, contact Talon Student Media Adviser Lorri Allen, firstname.lastname@example.org.
A member of the prestigious UT System, The University of Texas at Tyler focuses on student success and innovative research in the more than 80 undergraduate and graduate degree programs offered. With more than 10,000 students, UT Tyler has facilities in Tyler, Longview, Palestine and Houston.