UT Tyler School of Nursing
Bachelor of Science in Nursing
Traditional BSN Track for Applicants Admitted to UT Tyler as Freshmen
The School of Nursing offers the Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) degree. Upon successful completion of the BSN curriculum at the Tyler, Longview, or Palestine campus, graduates are eligible to take the National Council Licensure Examination for Registered Nursing (NCLEX-RN).
The University of Texas at Tyler School of Nursing prepares graduates to meet health care needs as generalists.
The BSN program requires two years of prerequisite course completion and then four semesters of nursing courses.
- Students must be Texas Core-complete BEFORE beginning the BSN program. They can be in progress of the final 15 hours of pre-requisite or core courses when they apply for the BSN program, pending that those courses are completed before the program courses begin.
- See the UT Tyler Core Curriculum for the most current core curriculum that UT Tyler requires.
- Chemistry (and lab) (CHEM 1305 and 1105 Recommended)
- Microbiology (and lab) (BIOL 2320 and BIOL 2120)
- Anatomy & Physiology I & II (and labs) (BIOL 2301 and 2101, BIOL 2302 and 2102)
- Nutrition (ALHS 2315)
- Lifespan Growth & Development (PSYC 2320)
- Introductory Psychology (PSYC 1301)
Students are required to have a 2.75 or higher GPA in all pre-requisite courses and nursing pre-requisite courses.
Required Nursing Pre-Requisites
To be completed in the semester prior to entry to the BSN program. It is required that students take these courses at UT Tyler.
- NURS 3205 Nursing Concepts & Theories
- NURS 3303 Pathophysiology
Step 1: Pre-Admission Testing
All applicants to the Traditional BSN Track must complete the ATI TEAS and upload a copy of results through the online application system.
See the ATI website for more information.
The student may submit the highest score of up to two (2) attempts of the ATI TEAS test.
Applicants may take the assessment at any testing center that supports ATI testing. Testing dates are offered on all three UT Tyler campuses (Tyler, Longview, and Palestine).
We do not accept HESI scores.
To be considered for admission the applicant must have a minimum total score on the ATI TEAS of 58.7%. See our point evaluation system for more details on the range of scores and how they are applied to the program application.
Step 2: Apply to the School of Nursing
Apply to the BSN program at The University of Texas at Tyler by filling out our Generic BSN Application. You may only apply to one track in the BSN program.
Complete all required information and submit. Any courses that are “in progress” must be entered with or “0” credit hour values so that they accurately are reflected in your GPA.
There is no application fee. Application deadlines are Sept. 1 and Feb. 1 for the traditional BSN application. Students can expect a response from the department regarding their admission within eight weeks of the application deadline.
Change for students admitted to the university as freshman applicants for spring 2017 and after:
Students that were admitted to UT Tyler as freshman applicants (entered with fewer than 30 semester credit hours) are guaranteed admission to the School of Nursing if they meet the minimum criteria:
- GPA of 2.75 or higher in core and Nursing pre-requisite courses
- Did not repeat any of the Nursing Pre-requisite sciences, nor NURS 3205, nor NURS 3303
- Were never on probation, or allowed their cumulative GPA to fall below 2.0 in any term at UT Tyler
- Made a minimum Total Score of 58.7% on the ATI TEAS (Maximum of 2 attempts)
Failure to maintain these criteria does not preclude acceptance. Students who do not maintain these criteria will still be considered based on the other factors, such as GPA, ATI TEAS scores, etc.