UT Tyler Undergraduate Nursing
RN to MSN Admission Criteria
RN-MSN Nurse Practitioner - February 15th and September 15th
RN-MSN Education, Administration and MSN/MBA - March 15th and October 15th
Submit the following items to UT Tyler Nursing prior to the deadline date
- Undergraduate application online at www.applytexas.org
*Please note that there is an application fee, see the main UT Tyler graduate admissions web page for the up to date fee.
- Official transcripts from all institutions attended
- **Apple devices require Firefox and Adobe reader to be installed for this form to work properly. For best results, use a Windows-based operating system.
- Request for three references (academic and professional) to fill out the online form regarding your potential for graduate study.
- They will need to have your contact information to include: your first and last name, address, phone number and email. It is understood that with the online form, you waive the right to review it.
- Proof of an Associate of Science degree or Diploma in nursing from a nationally accredited school
- Copy of current licensure as a Registered Nurse in the state(s) where clinical practicum will occur
- Submit a two page essay that addresses the following:
- Explain your reasons for pursuing an advanced practice degree in this particular area (specify administration, education, coordinated MBA or Nurse Practitioner).
- Describe an influential role model that has helped shape your decision to pursue their career
- Tell us where you see yourself in five years.
- Describe how you have prepared for the rigor of graduate study.
- Copy of CPR Certification (front and back)
- Letter from employer verifying employment
- Immunization Records:
- TUBERCULIN – Negative PPD with 1 year, OR Negative chest x-ray (hood for 3 years)
- MMR – positive MMR titer can be submitted if no record of vaccination
- Hepatitis B- positive Hepatitis B titer can be submitted if no record of vaccination
- TETANUS/DIPHTERIA – within 10 years
- Proof of completion of statistics with a grade of "C" or better
- Associate Degree to MSN applicants are required to take the GRE or MAT, no minimum score required for consideration.
- MSN/MBA students must achieve a minimum score of 500 or more on the Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) and a satisfactory grade-point average overall on prior advanced level (junior, senior, and graduate) work taken. These two indicators of graduate potential, GMAT score and grade-point average, will be used to calculate an index number.
- A minimum GPA of 3.0 on all general education requirements and college of nursing prerequisite courses is required. A minimum GPA of 3.0 on all nursing courses is preferred.
Submit paper items in 1 packet (with the exception of references and test scores). All other documents need to arrive at the university in one envelope, mail to:
The University of Texas at Tyler
College of Nursing Attn: Renee Lampkin
3900 University Blvd
Tyler, TX 75799