Office of International Programs
Entering the United States
Please present the following documents to the Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officer at the U.S. port of entry:
• Passport(s) containing a valid J-1 visa (or J-2 visas for accompanying family members).
• Signed Form DS-2019(s) for you and any accompanying family members.
• I-94 card(s), which are distributed on the airplane before landing may not be issued in some cases
• Recommended: Proof of financial support (same as the document presented at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate).
• Recommended: Invitation letter from the sponsoring department at The University of Texas at Tyler.
The CBP officer should return to you:
- Stamped Form(s) DS-2019 for you and any accompanying family members.
- Stamped I-94 card. Please check that your I-94 card has the notation "J-1 D/S" (stands for "duration of status") and I-94 cards of any accompanying family members have the notation "J-2 D/S" on them. I-94 cards may not be issued in some cases.
Note: If you notice a discrepancy, please be sure to address it with the CBP officer immediately as it may be difficult to make any correction to I-94 cards once you leave the port of entry. Do not lose your I-94 card(s), which prove that you entered legally.
- Any of the recommended documents that you provided in support at your consular visa appointment.
The airport at Tyler is called Tyler Pounds Regional Airport (airport code TYR), and is about 7 miles from the UT Tyler campus.
Upon your arrival to Tyler, it is very important that you:
- Inform your inviting department that you have arrived safely.
- Attend the mandatory J-1 Faculty & Scholar Orientation at ISSFS.
Please Note: If you arrive Saturday or Sunday, you will find that the University and many other businesses are closed.