Requirements to Submit a Waiver
Please be sure to check these regulations.
A. Criteria to submit a waiver request:
- You are sponsored by the U.S. government, a foreign government recognized by the U.S., or certain international, government sponsored or nongovernmental organizations, if: 1) the sponsor has guaranteed payment of all health care expenses in writing, or 2) has provided coverage through a Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA) compliant plan.
- You are enrolled in the U. T. System Employee Group Health Plan.
- You are enrolled in a U.S. Employer Plan that is PPACA compliant with PPACA Essential Minimum Benefits.
- You are enrolled in a U.S. Individual Plan that is PPACA compliant with PPACA Essential Minimum Benefits.
- You are enrolled exclusively in distance learning programs or classes.
This is what the UT System has stated as acceptable policies as listed on their website. If they do not fall into these categories, they are not acceptable.
Please note: travel plans or plans that require you to pay for treatment yourself and then apply for reimbursement will NOT be acceptable for waiving the UT SHIP.
B. If you meet one of the above criteria, then your alternative health insurance coverage must meet the following minimum requirements:
- Unlimited maximum on benefits.
- Deductible is $500 or less per condition.
- No pre-existing condition limitation.
- Dates of coverage must meet or exceed the policy year.
(The 2017-2018 policy year should start on or before 15 August 2017 and provide coverage until 14 August 2018.)