Office of International Programs
A student who is maintaining F-1 status and has an unexpired UT Tyler I-20 may work
campus without additional immigration authorization:
- Part-time (up to 20 hours per week) while school is in session.
- Full-time (21 or more hours per week) during official school breaks, such as spring break, winter break and summer vacation.
- Campus jobs are listed online through the Patriot Jobs portal.
Note: Students who follow job application instructions closely get the most consideration.
F-1 On-Campus Work Restrictions
- An international student must have a valid, unexpired UT Tyler I-20.
- If a student has his/her record transferred to another school, their campus authorization ends on that release date.
- A student transferring in to UT Tyler is eligible for on-campus employment as soon as they complete the SEVIS transfer process.
- An international student may work part-time during spring and fall semesters and full-time during summer sessions and school breaks, unless authorized for CPT or OPT.
- Students cannot work in the 60 day grace period after completing their program unless authorized for OPT during that time and the job is appropriate for their field of study.
Off campus employment usually requires Curricular Practical Training (CPT) or Optional Practical Training (OPT) authorization. See the Practical Training section for more information.