Office of International Programs
Extension of Stay
F-1 students are required to complete their academic programs by the program end date listed on their I-20. Students unable to complete their program by the program end date may apply for an extension of stay.
- Must have valid F-1 status and be making normal progress toward completion of educational objective.
- Must apply before the I-20 program end date.
- Must meet one of the valid reasons for extension:
- Compelling academic reason such as a change of major, research topics or research complications.
- Documented medical reason such as hospitalization or prolonged illness.
- NOTE: Academic probation, suspension, or Curricular Practical Training are not valid reasons for a program extension.
I-20 Extension Application Process
Submit the following to International Student, Scholar and Faculty Services (ISSFS):
- Request for Extension Form – Attached to the form should be a letter from your academic department which details the reason why you were unable to complete the program, courses remaining, and the length of extension recommended.
- An updated UT Tyler Certification of Financial Responsibility
- Proof of funding for the period of extension.