UT Tyler

Office of International Programs

J-1 Student

Some students enter the U.S. in J-1 student status. The J-1 visa is administered by the Department of State and is used for a variety of educational purposes. The Form DS-2019 (Certificate of Eligibility for a J-1 visa) may be issued to a student with a scholarship, either from a sponsoring organization or from UT Tyler. Dependents of a J-1 visa holder are classified as J-2.

If you reside outside the U.S., the UT Tyler Office of International Programs will mail you the appropriate certificate of eligibility (Form DS-2019) after you have submitted the required evidence of financial support. You must then pay the SEVIS fee. The certificate of eligibility (Form DS-2019) must be presented at the U.S. Consulate or Embassy when applying for your J-1 student visa, along with your unexpired passport, evidence of financial support and SEVIS fee receipt.

For more information about international admissions, please visit:

Undergraduate International Admissions
Graduate International Admissions

UT Tyler