UT Tyler

Office of International Programs

J-1 Extension for Visiting Scholars

Individuals in Visiting Professor and Researcher categories may be eligible to stay in the U.S. for a maximum of five years. However, individuals in Short-Term Scholar category are limited to stay in the U.S. for a maximum of six months. No extensions can be granted beyond this maximum.

In order to process a J-1 extension for the Visiting Professor and Researcher categories, the following documents are needed:

1. A letter from the sponsoring professor requesting an extension, including:

  • The J-1 Exchange Visitor's UT EID.

  • The specific dates of the extension.

  • The specific amount of university funding provided, if applicable.

2. If insurance benefits are included:

  • Verification of funding if the scholar will not be supported by the department.

  • Verification of insurance that meets the requirements for J-1 Exchange Visitors and their dependents.

3. Passport

4. I-94

5. Previous form DS-2019

Please note: Extending the DS-2019 extends the immigration status of the J-1 Exchange Visitor, but does not extend the visa stamp in the passport. If the current visa is expired and the Exchange Visitor travels outside of the United States during the extended period, he/she must apply for a new visa stamp to return to the United States.




UT Tyler